[CC-czech] Czech licence - legal code in xhtml and the latest english retranslation

Jansa Petr Petr.Jansa at mujmail.cz
Wed Mar 4 11:06:05 GMT 2009

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
Dear Catharina,
I am ready for another skypecall later today or tomorrow, I will be off-line on Friday and during the weekend.
Ad Section 4b):
The reference to "aplicable license" seems to be wrong with respect "keeping intact" previous notices and also with respect to Section 8b. The author/licensor of the Adaptation is free to use any of the "aplicable licenses" for the Adaptation (= his creation), but he is not authorised to relicense the Work as such.
There should not be a difference on the practical side, since aplicable licenses are "the same in spirit" by the very definition, however it is a big difference from the legal perspective - since the license is a contract under Czech law, it is an unilateral change of contract on the Licensee's side, which is not possible. My understanding is that older versions and different national versions of the same license simply overlap and meet by the final recipient, even thought the recipient if fact only reads the license for the last Adaptation.
This becomes very important in case the author of the Adaptation goes beyond the original restrictions - he/she adapts a BY work and passes the Adaptation with BY-NC-SA license. It is perfectly fine, but the information that the underlying work is BY shall not get lost - thats why reference to THIS LICENSE shall be KEPT INTACT.
Ad Synchronisation:
There is a legal definition of 'use of work in connection with other works' in Czech copyrigth - this includes accompanying a poem with music producing a song, accompanying a film with subtitles or synchronizing it.
We can add the particular example of synchronization, if it is an issue. Does synching include both sound and subtitles or only sound?
We can discuss the wording per skype, writing emails takes too long :-}
Petr
Petr Jansa
E-mail: Petr.Jansa at mujmail.cz
Tel.: 777-586-245