[diggers350] Oct 12: action day for the Zapatistas

kebele at marsbard.com kebele at marsbard.com
Thu Dec 2 23:14:25 GMT 1999

"There are those with white skins and a dark sorrow. Our struggle
walks with these skins. There are those who have dark skins and a
white arrogance; against them is our fire. Our armed path is not
against skin colour but against the colour of money." EZLN

Activists and Zapatista solidarity groups from the UK are calling for
a day of action on October 12th . It is hoped autonomous groups
will target companies, investing in Chiapas under the North
American Free Trade Agreement, with non-violent direct action.

In the last few months the Mexican army has occupied key towns
and EZLN army bases in the Lacandon jungle. It is clearly an
attempt to cut off the Zapatistas from the outside world. As links
are being made between the Zapatistas, the radical electrical
workers union and striking students the Mexican government and
the international investment community is starting to get jumpy.

The now infamous quote from the Chase Manhatten Emerging
Markets Group in January 1995 stated: "While Chiapas, in our
opinion, does not pose a fundamental threat to Mexican political
stability, it is perceived so by many in the investment community.
The government will need to eliminate the Zapatistas to
demonstrate effective control of the national territory and of secirity
policy"

The current crisis is masking the announcement of investment
plans by a number of European and US multi-national corporations
in Chiapas. Standing between the multi-nationals and profit are a
group of indigenous peoples whose cry of Ya Basta (enough is
enough) has inspired millions around the globe.

On October 12 it is hoped that activists and solidarity groups from
around the world will participate in the day of action. The email
<firstworldhahaha at hotmail.com> collate reports of actions taken
on the day and forward them to Mexico and Chiapas 95. A web site
has also been set up at www.geocities.com/firstworldhahaha
Information can be posted on this. Groups will have to be self
sufficient in terms of researching companies but investment plans
are posted on companies web sites!