[diggers350] Diggers Latest News/Action

Tony Gosling tony at gaia.org
Tue Mar 2 16:15:44 GMT 1999

DIGGERS LIST, IS IT WORKING!?!?!?
---------------------------------
Please let me know at - tony at gaia.org - if the list is working out okay.
I don't seem to have had any messages on it.  Is it clear ?? that all
you have to do is post your message to:

diggers350 at egroups.com

for them to be distributed on the list?  More details in the sig below.

HILLFORT PATH - PUBLIC LAND ON THE HILL!
We have been told about some land on St. George's Hill which was DONATED
to the local council back in 1952.  The usual crap apparently ensued
with pressure by the alleged owners of the Hill on the council NOT to
tell local people about either the land or the public footpath which
runs along it.  The council seem to have done exactly what the estate
wanted, riding roughshod over the wishes of the generous previous owner
and the local population whose interests they are ostensibly there to
serve.  Local people walking along this public path might THREATEN the
exclusivity of the St. George's Hill estate!  God Forbid!!

On a visit to the hill last week it appears that a large chunk of the
donated land has now been BUILT ON!!  By a private house developer.
We also asked the St George's Hill private security guards if there was
any public land on the estate.  They assured us there was NO SUCH PUBLIC
LAND, SO WE WERE NOT ALLOWED IN!  Needless to say we found another way
in just to check that they were indeed talking utter rubbish!

Part of the Diggers Celebrations therefore will be to inform the locals
of this public land & footpath around the ramparts of the Iron Age
Hillfort which they don't currently have any access to.  The hillfort
incidentally, was almost destroyed when the Hill was developed in the
twenties.  Exhibition in Elmbridge museum now open, not to be missed if
you're in the area:
27 Feb - 10 Apr - Exhibition: The Diggers and George Hill, Elmbridge
Museum, Church St., Weybridge - 01932 843573

DIGGERS WORKING DAY
-------------------
The FINAL DIGGERS MEETING before the WORKING WEEK near Brighton starting
20th March (contact Ben on 0961 373385) will be a WHOLE DAY affair with
various groups including theatrical, practical, logistics, being sorted
out.
This will take place downstairs at the Advisory Service for Squatters.

10am to about 8pm, then to the bup!
-----------------------------------

Advisory Service for Squatters
2 St. Pauls Road
London N1
(at the junction with Newington Green Road)

Train (N. London Line): Canonbury (5 mins walk) - usually no inspectors
Tube: Highbury & Islington - 25 mins walk or catch 30/277 bus
Buses: 30*, 38*, 56*, 73*, 141, 341*, 236, 277*. (*stop by the door)

see you there!
--
Tony Gosling
tony at gaia.org

DIGGERS 350 CELEBRATIONS EMAIL LIST
Ideas for Long Term Land Squats and general Digger discussions:
Post to all subscribers: <diggers350 at egroups.com>
Join list: <diggers350-subscribe at egroups.com>
Message archive and other email list information is found at
http://www.egroups.com/list/diggers350/

OUR NEED - OUR RIGHT - HOMES FOR ALL!
DIGGERS 350 - Gerrard Winstanley and The Diggers 1649-1999
Winstanley's pamphlets - printed on illegal presses during the English Civil War
now on the web with Digger pictures:  www.tlio.demon.co.uk/diggers.htm
DIGGERS 350 CELEBRATION DETAILS:  www.oneworld.org/tlio/

THE LAND IS OURS
A Landrights Movement for Britain
office at tlio.demon.co.uk      http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/
email your UK address and tel. no. to the office for our free newsletter
Box E, 111 Magdalen Road OXFORD OX4 1RQ England
Tel. +44 (0)1865 722016

"...not only this Common, or Heath should be taken in and Manured by the
People, but all the Commons and waste Ground in England, and in the whole World,
shall be taken in by the People in righteousness, not owning any Property; but
taking the Earth to be a Common Treasury, as it was first made for all."  -
The Diggers' Manifesto - The True LevellersÂ’ Standard Advanced, 1649

Tony's research web pages:   www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/7727/