[diggers350] AWE Consultation

Di McDonald nipdimac at gn.apc.org
Thu Oct 28 21:41:40 BST 1999

LAST CALL  FOR RESPONSES TO PUBLIC CONSULTATION
on ATOMIC WEAPONS ESTABLISHMENT(AWE)  ALDERMASTON & BURGHFIELD in BRITAIN

Dear Everyone

If you have already received  Briefings on AWE Aldermaston Public
Consultation -  apologies.
If not - read  on :

 FIRST OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC CONSULTATION  ON AWE ALDERMASTON

 For the first time ever, The Environment Agency (EA) published a
Consultative Document (CD) on AWE's radioactive discharges, and invited a
public response.

The Consultation Period is UNTIL 5 NOVEMBER 1999 and the EA will accept
submissions by e-mail to:  lorna.stevens at environment-agency.gov.uk

We hope that thousands of  people will respond and show their concern about
radioactive discharges from AWE,  in addition to the expert responses  many
organisations have made.

Hard copies of the Briefing & Model Letter are available
If you can't read the attachments, please respond and I can send them by
e-mail direct.

This is a short campaign - with a clear objective and an end and  in sight,
please take moment to

OBJECT TO PROPOSED INCREASES IN RADIOACTIVE DISCHARGES TO THE ENVIRONMENT
ABOVE PRESENT LEVELS
AND TO SUPPORT CALLS FOR A LOCAL HEALTH AUDIT

STOP PRESS::::::::::::  news::::::::::::::::.AWE HAS HAD 100 SAFETY RELATED
INCIDENTS IN 1999 - MANY KEPT SECRET
Please add a  request 'that operational work at the plant should stop
immediately' to your response to the EA. Safety systems must remain
functioning and therefore the discharges problem will not go away yet. The
NAG for ZERO campaign against more discharges is still very important in
changing the culture of acceptance of the plant and its discharges in the
locality.

Consultative Document on AWE Radioactive Discharges available from
lorna.stevens at environment-agency.gov.uk
webpage: www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Best Wishes

Di McDonald