[diggers350] sunday times rant

ian ferguson fergusonian at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 12:01:17 BST 1999

where do i begin???  well I have been checking out the dialogue on this
e-group for about 5 months now,  and it's all good stuff.       ( cheers
tony for putting me on to this )although this is not strictly a  "diggers"
subject... I thought i'd stick my oar in.  So, anyway it goes like this.

Yesterdays Sunday Times ( page 2 ) had the enclosed article.  for all those
who missed Murdoch's idiot sheet.  here it is in full...

September 26 1999	BRITAIN

City rioters plot clash at Labour conference
THE anarchists behind the City of London riots in June, who call themselves
Class War, are planning violent clashes with hunt supporters at the Labour
party conference in Bournemouth, writes Mark Macaskill.
A Sunday Times undercover investigation has revealed evidence that other
militant groups, including Reclaim the Streets (RTS) and the Animal
Liberation Front, have formed a coalition to confront the pro-hunt lobby.
The lobby plans to stage a mass demonstration with 16,000 members against a
possible ban on fox-hunting.
Leaders of the groups are plotting to infiltrate the march to incite
violence. Last week a member of Class War warned that "Tuesday's events are
going to be lively" and confirmed a number of organisations who "hated the
hunting toffs" had teamed up to disrupt the march.
Last week a reporter posing as a student learnt that militant groups,
including Class War and RTS, had hired coaches and were planning to arrive
in Bournemouth on Tuesday. Thor Halland, a leading member of Class War who
was arrested for his part in the City riots, warned: "It is almost certain
that it is going to kick off."
Some members of RTS are attending as agents provocateur, tasked with
infiltrating the march posing as Countryside Alliance members and inciting
violence.
Other groups are travelling to Bournemouth by train. A committee of
eco-warriors and anti-capitalist activists is to co-ordinate the action.
Last week, the Countryside Alliance clashed with Mike O'Brien, the junior
Home Office minister, after he accused the Alliance of allowing the British
National party (BNP) to infiltrate it - a claim vigorously denied by both
groups. Police chiefs have also expressed concern that violence could erupt
after reports that members of the BNP are planning to attend.
Arnold Garvey, editor of Horse and Hound magazine, said: "I expect a strong
presence from activist groups - but I am confident that the hunters will not
retaliate."
Additional reporting: Justin Rigby

outrageous is putting it mildly...If this was in "The Sun" you could accept
this paranoid tosh but the Sunday Times?? This is the best example of
blatant propaganda i have come across in the mainstream media for a while.
i would like to hear from anyone who was protesting in Bournemouth yesterday
to discuss.
it seems that hatchet journalists such as Justin Ungoed-Thomson and Justin
Rigby have no regard for democracy and the fundamental right of human beings
to protest.  Their agenda is clearly set, biased journalism is now the norm.
  I may be stating the bloody obvious but these scumbags seem  bent on
rubbishing the growing protest movement.  They have already been exposed in
Private Eye + Schnews for their childlike attempts to infiltrate the grass
roots movement...so i guess we should all be vigilant.

In the tradition of 'New Labour' these shabby journalistic practises should
be named and shamed.

ian ferguson
i-contact video network