Magdalen College grounds occupation

The Land Is Ours tony at gaia.org
Mon Aug 28 00:14:31 BST 2000

Dear TLIO people,

For the last five years, in the first week of October, protesters have
occupied a small stretch of land alongside the Cherwell in Oxford.  This
land is owned by Magdalen College, who dug a ditch at the end of the Angel
and Greyhound meadow in the 80's to prevent access across it to University
Parks, a route which for a long time was a natural right of way.  In 1995
protesters build a bridge across to the land and occupied it for the
weekend.  They have done so every October since to maintain continual use.

I would like to see the occupation take more of a structure this year, and
so am appealing to the core group and everyone generally to be there from
7-8 October.  An obvious need is for TLIO yurt and information to be
present, and I am trying to get together some speakers, performers and
providers of food.  This is a small scale event - I only expect about 60-70
people, but an ample opportunity to reach out to non-activists in Oxford
and let them know the basics of land rights issues.  I am printing about
1000 flyers which will be distributed in community spaces and across the
activist fraternity.

Please keep this weekend free in your diaries, and if anyone has any
resources to facilitate this working well do let me know.  I need workshop
areas, some sort of 'stage', the portable 'fire' thing, etc etc

Thanks,

David Todd
16 Bartlemas Close
OX4 2AE

01865 204218

loveblanket at fetchmail.com

PS for those of you aware of this event and a certain Mr Pope's
participation in it, I have Edward's blessing to do all this stuff, and
although he's in Italy at the moment I expect he'll be around closer to the
time.

(please note people, (lilia talking here) tlio were involved in organising
some 5 years or so ago, so it would be a good opportunity to get involved
again, also what do people think of us doing  mail out of the leaflet to
all of our local oxford contacts [numbering about 60], also dave will be
asking george to talk, he also suggests if anyone else e.g. would tony like
to come forward)
The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

+44 (0)1865 722016
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG

check out our website at: <http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/>

or contact us at: <office at tlio.demon.co.uk>

TLIO are currently short on funds.  For a year's subscription for the
newsletter (3 times a year), we are asking for £3 per annum.  Please make
cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".

To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: tliocoregroup-unsubscribe at eGroups.com

---