[diggers350] A criminal act of kindness

Tony Gosling tony at gaia.org
Wed Feb 23 14:52:12 GMT 2000

> [...]
> will be targeted soon after Food Not Bombs is restricted. He cited similar
> meals being served by other groups on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays.
>
> 	Representatives from the Mosque Avengers, an organization formed
> in opposition to the Fifth-Forbes project; Carnegie Mellon University’s
> Student Union; the Pitt chapter of Students in Solidarity; a high-school
> chapter of Amnesty International; and the Thomas Merton Center, an
> social-justice organization that provides office space for grass-roots
> organizations, were present to give their support.
>
> 	Vince Eirene, who owns a homeless shelter on the North Side,
> blames city officials for last week's event. "The mayor's office and the
> city should be ashamed of themselves. They should be encouraging people to
> care for people and not make that a crime,"  he said.
>
> 	Past newspaper reports quote Mayor Tom Murphy’s spokesman as
> saying that the city never ordered police to issue citations to volunteers
> who don't have permits to serve food. Cara Wiegand, a member of Food Not
> Bombs and a student at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, said police
> demanded that the organization obtain a health permit.
>
> 	"But why would we make food that we wouldn't eat ourselves?" she
> asked.The food is donated by Einstein Brothers Bagels, East End Food Co-Op
> and other food establishments that would otherwise throw the food away.
> Wiegand questioned another concern expressed by city officials, who stated
> that free food took away business from Downtown establishments. "On
> Sunday, nothing's ever open. They are just trying to hide that there is a
> problem with homelessness," she said.
>
> 	Food Not Bombs was founded in Boston in 1980, according to the
> group’s Web page. The organization is based on the principles of
> nonviolence and "food recycling," taking unwanted food from restaurants
> and other establishments and giving it to the homeless. There are 70
> autonomous chapters. Jason Angse, a member of the Pittsburgh chapter, said
> it is important to bring attention to the plight of the poor.
>
> 	"Out of sight, out of mind is what they want, and it simply does
> not solve the problem. It's just wrong. We're the first beginning step to
> change that," he said. Angse added, "There's a lot of food that's thrown
> away and a lot of people that are hungry. ... Put those two together, and
> people are not hungry; food is not wasted."
>
> 	The Web page also details the struggles of the San Francisco
> chapter, which has faced censure. Since 1988, the city of San Francisco
> has arrested more than 1,000 Food Not Bombs members for distributing food
> without permits. Unable to find recourse in the legal system, the chapter
> appealed to Amnesty International to have those sanctioned members
> declared prisoners of conscience.
>

> the pitt news
>

>   vegetarian, nonviolence, consensus
> -Food Not Bombs List     fnb-l at lists.tao.ca
> -distributing food in opposition to violence

<sffnb at iww.org> Signature File Of Thursday 20 January 2000

Communications from this e-mail address <sffnb at iww.org> DO NOT necessarily
reflect views of the San Francisco Food Not Bombs organization, unless it
is otherwise indicated. The information content and opinions expressed in
this communication are from individual members, allies and affiliates of
San Francisco Food Not Bombs.

San Francisco Food Not Bombs
P.O. Box 40485
San Francisco, California 94140
USA

Phone:      + 1-415-675-9928

E-Mail:     < sffnb at iww.org > and < sffnb at dojo.tao.ca >

Web Page:   < http://www.foodnotbombs.org >

--
Tony Gosling <tony at gaia.org>

5 Warden Road
Bedminster
Bristol
England
BS3
England

Telephone +44(0)117 953 1256

THE LAND IS OURS website         http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/
Subscribe:     diggers350-subscribe at egroups.com

ECOVILLAGE NETWORK UK   http://www.ecovillages.org/uk/network/test/index.htm
Subscribe:     ecovillageuk-subscribe at eGroups.com
Leave List:    ecovillageuk-unsubscribe at eGroups.com

"...not only this Common, or Heath should be taken in and Manured by the
People, but all the Commons and waste Ground in England, and in the whole
World,
shall be taken in by the People in righteousness, not owning any Property;
but
taking the Earth to be a Common Treasury, as it was first made for all."  -
The Diggers' Manifesto - The True Levellers’ Standard Advanced, 1649
http://www.tlio.demon.co.uk/diggers.htm

The High Priests of Globalisation - Tony's site
http://www.bilderberg.org