[diggers350] useful stuff to know about viruses

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 22:51:00 GMT 2000

I recently got sent a virus scare email, which had been forwarded lots...
and decided just to bin it, but after some consideration.... however, on
the same mailing, afterwards came the following, which I thought I will now
forward, as it's useful to know, just in case....

>Could I suggest before forwarding anything of this sort you check out the
>hoax warnings website on
>http://www.datafellows.fi/news/hoax.htm
>The purpose of these hoaxes is to waste time and bandwidth.
>
>Here's what it has to say about this one:
>
>F-Secure Hoax Warnings Pages
>
>NAME: Jesus
>ALIAS:It Takes Guts to Say Jesus
>
>There is no virus by this name. However, there is a widespread hoax message
>of an e-mail virus by this name. Such virus does not exist. Do not forward
>the hoax warning.

here's some more info re viruses.

E-mail TEXT messages on their own are unable to transmit viruses.
You need program code in the form of an .EXE file to activate viruses or
some form of Macro embedded in MS-Word .DOC files, and these bits of code
can only be transmitted in e-mail via attachments.

So the rule is (though I'm sure you all know this) :-
Never, ever open attachments from a source you don't recognise or are not
expecting.
If in doubt check with the sender if he/she is known to you.
And play safe by deleting attachments unopened.
Like Pandora's box, once opened you can't close it again.

also this is another site to check out:

http://www.Symantec

Symantec are the manufacturer of Norton Anti-Virus software.

2nd hand info from Lilia

The TLIO Networking Office

The Land Is Ours
... a landrights movement for Britain