[diggers350] Cuillins Support

Ed Iglehart tipiglen at dircon.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 14:13:11 BST 2000

Sir,
Glad to learn of your extended portfolio.  Certainly it's appropriate for you to be on Rural Affairs.

Andy Wightman & Graham Boyd's idea for the Cuillins is one of the best ideas to surface recently.  It might light a fire under the land reform capacities which the executive's cosmetic proposals don't even touch...
I am interested to learn more of your withdrawal from Westminster.  No criticism; makes sense, and you know I feared you were overworking.  Congrats again on assiduous service at both ends of the country.  I hope a suitable, electable candidate is chosen.  You know I would favour someone from local soil, but not being a party person, my opinion is worth just that.
You'll be a hard act to follow, and a fine half of a dynamite team, should it go the right way.

I am giving you and your support staff the links below to work I've done on land reform and the forestry strategy.  Comments from yourselves welcome.  I shall be responding as an individual, local community activist, and the Centre fof Human Ecology (wherin I am a postgraduate student) will be responding as an educational institutional think tank.  Perhaps others.
On Land reform, there is a paper I wrote for Andy Wightman's caledonia pages at:
http://www.caledonia.org.uk/land/iglehart.htm
The conclusion may be of interest, and the rest if you have the headspace...
and:
A (draft) response to a (draft)(or daft?) strategy
http://www.tipiglen.dircon.co.uk/strategy.html
It's a very rough draft at the moment and I would welcome critical response (already have some)

Very much in common cause,

Ed Iglehart
--
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.  It's already
tomorrow in Australia.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
       but most of them pick themselves up
       and hurry off as if nothing happened.

                 -Winston Churchill

Are we runnin' too fast?   http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ira/illich/texts/energy_and_equity/

     An advanced degree never hurt anybody
     who was willing to learn after he got it.  http://www.che.ac.uk/

"By the union with England
the middling and inferior ranks of people in Scotland
gained a complete deliverance from the power of an
aristocracy which had always before oppressed them. "
                --Adam Smith; The Wealth of Nations
"Yeah, Right!"
http://www.caledonia.org.uk/land/iglehart.htm
                --Ed Iglehart
"We are often cautioned that we must live in the 'real world' by folk
who mean 'money', a concept more abstract than theoretical physics."
  -- Ed Iglehart

Support our indigenous businesses:
Buy your books from http://www.jamesthin.co.uk