[diggers350] Rural Solidarity

Xanthe Bevis xanthe_bevis at free-spirit.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 22:46:11 BST 2001

"Not all farmers are agricapitalist bastards"
Many farmers are too busy working from dawn to dusk to notice what campaigns
it is those of us freeloading in the urban complex are requiring support
for! What support are we giving them every single time we munch food not
bought in the local farmers market/off the organic veggie box scheme/from
our allotments? But many have been really positive about anti-gm. As with
all folk, they come in all shapes and sizes. First step to a positive future
is recognising this! Otherwise we give in to those who would rather divide
and rule.

"Let them eat information"
While some in the media are now talking about whether we should see the end
of agriculture (presumably they hope to use other people's countries as vast
farms for our northern european military industrical complex, thus adding to
energy expendend on transport as well as oppression. etc.) and comparing it
with Thatcher pulling the plug on a non-profitable coaling industry, the
saner amongst us are presumably thinking "hm, but we can't eat the products
of the knowledge economy" ... and hoping that the current crisis will give
impetus to a future of sustainable agriculture based around the needs of
local communities. A second agricultural revolution perhaps, heralded
already by the reaction to GM and subsequent expansion of the organic
market?
It had better be, or we really will be eating protein pills.