Govanhill Pool - Latest Developments

evnuk at gaia.org evnuk at gaia.org
Sun Dec 30 19:06:42 GMT 2001

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

For those (there are now some 500 of you!) following this issue and the
letter we sent earlier this week to the Chief Constable of Strathclyde, we
are pleased to say that he has replied promptly, though the question posed
has not been addressed or answered.  (see below).

More significantly today, Friday 21st October, the day of the Chief
Constable's letter,  a reporter from a major Scottish newspaper contacted
us seeking comment on information allegedly received from the press office
of Strathclyde Police to the effect that 20 community members involved in
the campaign and the events of 7th August are to be variously charged (or
have been - we do not know who !.) The figure 20 being quite clearly stated.

When the press office was asked by our campaign today whether this was
true, the answer was quite categorically that no such information had been
given to the press, and went on to explain that when the press phoned they
were told that the investigations were ongoing and there would be some
charges.  When asked if this would be 3 or 50 or even a 100 the answer was
that that such information could not be given out.  Tomorrow we are told
that a newspaper is to run a story that i20 are to be charged on the basis
of police information.  In other words it seems, the media can be given
information by the police but the public who are involved cannot or will
not be given such information.  Someone is clearly not telling the truth.

It will not have escaped your attention either that our last press release
confirmed that the Deputy Chief Constable of Fife Police (leading the
investigation into the Strathclyde Police Role in the events of 7th August)
told our campaign members and individual members 3 weeks ago (and confirmed
this week) that 18 police officers were to be reported to the Procurator
Fiscal.  It seems neither Fife or Strathclyde Police will give this
information to the media YET Strathclyde Police seems happy to give the
detail of the number of charges it is bringing against citizens
(above).  What this means is that the media cannot run a story with the
information about charges being made against the police but can run a story
with charges against local people because the police will not confirm
charges against police.  Is this right or fair?

We suggest that this might be seen as  blatant manipulation of the media
and a clear attempt to undermine the campaign to save Govanhill Pool and
local community members.

Is it the case that the police will now spend the holiday period arresting
and charging people - after nearly five months?  Is it a coincidence that
these arrests and charges  are announced immediately the charges against
Strathclyde police are announce by Fife police?  Worse than this, a
reporter also claims that a police source has actually named one person
Strathclyde Police "intend" to charge but have not yet done so.  The
implications of all this, if true, are quite profound and for many, really
rather sinister.

Dr Nick McKerrell LLB & Mr Andrew Johnson Daisy Street Resource Centre
Daisy Street Govanhill GLASGOW

Police Headquarters 173 Pitt Street GLASGOW G2 4JS  Direct Line: 0141 532
2549  Your ref:  Our ref: MK/IMM   Date: 21 December 2001

Dear Sirs

FIFE CONSTABULARY REPORT

I write on behalf of Mr William Rae, Chief Constable, to acknowledge
receipt of your e-mail dated 18 December 2001.

Mr McInnes, the Deputy Chief Constable of Fife Constabulary, was appointed
to investigate the complaints made against members of this Force at the
request of the Regional Procurator Fiscal for Glasgow, Mr L A Higson.

Regional Procurators Fiscal have a duty to investigate all complaints which
are made against police officers where the complaint alleges that a crime
may have been committed by a police officer or officers in the course of
their duty.   This duty is exercised in a way which is entirely independent
of the police and in carrying out this duty, the Regional Procurator Fiscal
provides a completely impartial and thorough system of investigation.

You will wish to be aware that Mr McInnes will submit his report direct to
Mr Higson.   His report will not be presented to Strathclyde Police.

-  2  -

With regard to the overall policing strategy adopted on the day, Mr McInnes
was also asked to examine this aspect on behalf of the Force.   The Chief
Constable has not yet received Mr McInnes’ report.  Once the Regional
Procurator Fiscal’s involvement in this matter is concluded, the entire
events of 7 August 2001 will be subject of a full review by the
Force.  Please be assured that all those who made a complaint against the
police or raised concerns regarding our strategy on the day will receive a
full response.

Yours sincerely

Superintendent
Staff Officer to the Chief Constable

GLASGOW'S GOVANHILL POOL: SOUTHSIDE AGAINST CLOSURE.
www.saveourpoool.co.uk

Daisy Street Resource Centre, Daisy Street, Govanhill, Glasgow

Dear Staff Officer to the Chief Constable,

Many thanks for this speedy reply.  It is good of you to use this medium in
this way.

Unfortunately your reply does not seem to answer the question posed.

We assumed, as we said,  that the complaints could be prejudiced if made
public.  Are we to assume that the Report about the strategy the police
adopted on that day is not therefore to be made public?  A considerable
number of people made comment about this aspect and it seems to us, as we
said,  those present on that day are entitled to have a copy of this
report.  For such a report not to be placed in the public domain may well
leave some to wonder if full transparency is the objective being pursued.

We would also be glad if you could explain why it is that this aspect of
the Inquiry should not be considered until after the Procurator Fiscal's
involvement.

We look forward to hearing from you and again, many thanks for your speedy
response.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Johnson
Dr Nick McKerrell

For SAC:GGP

ECOVILLAGE NETWORK UK - http://www.ecovillages.org/uk/network/
Populating the rhetoric of rural sustainability
Volunteers: Russ Curgenven, Tony Gosling, Nick Mack-Smith, Pam Norris,
Joyce Kallevick, Rossana Vanni.
PO Box 1410, Bristol, BS99 3JP
Tel: 0117 373 0346
evnuk at gaia.org

CHAPTER 7 - http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/chapter7
The UK's Rural Sustainable Settlement Campaign
The Potato Store, Flaxdrayton Farm, South Petherton, Somerset, TA13
chapter7 at tlio.demon.co.uk
01460 249204

LOW-IMPACT NEWS - http://www.lowimpactnews.org.uk
The bi-monthly magazine for and about UK ecovillages
Subscription: £5 unwaged - £10 low paid - £15 reasonable job/institution -
per year
Cheque payable to Low Impact News, Middlewood, Roeburndale, Lancaster, LA2
8QX, UK
01324 222479

WWOOF - http://www.wwoof.org/wuk0.html
Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms - do some work and stay for free
PO Box 2675, Lewes, Sussex, BN7 1RB
fran at wwoof.org

DIGGERS AND DREAMERS - http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Diggers & Dreamers, a UK guide to communal living for more than 10 years
c/o Edge of Time Ltd, BCM Edge, London, WC1N 3XX, UK
info at diggersanddreamers.org.uk
07000 780536

PERMACULTURE ASSOCIATION UK - http://www.permaculture.org.uk
Supports individuals, projects and groups working with permaculture in Britain
Third Floor Studios, 6 Carr Mills, 322 Meanwood Road, Leeds, West
Yorkshire, LS7 2HY
office at permaculture.org.uk
Tel/Fax: 07041 390170 and 0113 262 1718

ECO-LOGIC BOOKS - http://www.eco-logicbooks.com
Practical solutions to environmental problems
Mulberry House, 19 Maple Grove, Bath, BA2 3AF
books at eco-logic.demon.co.uk
01225 484472

GROUNDSWELL - http://www.groundswell.org.uk
Promoting and developing self-help initiatives with the homeless

U.K. Cohousing Network - http://www.cohousing.co.uk/
Sharing expertise and experience amongst the U.K. cohousing groups.

You can make messages to evnuk private by downloading our PGP public key:
http://www.ecovillages.org/uk/network/EcovillageNetwork.asc
Download free & easy to use PGP encryption at http://www.pgpi.com