Future use of Land Debate - Oct. 6

The Land Is Ours office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 2 13:47:10 BST 2001

Message originally sent by: "Jonathan Evelight" <rainbow at aum.freewire.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001
(attachment forwarded)

Dear all,

There is a unique opportunity to voice your opinion in the national land
debate and the future use of land including farming, housing, livelihoods
and access to land on Oct. 6.  We hope you can participate and join us on
the day, organised by the UK Permaculture Association.

For full details see below and also the attached files: the Press Release
(Word file) + Program and Flyer in pdf files.  If you can share this
information we would be grateful.

Best wishes

J. Evelight + J.Bryant
====================
PRESS RELEASE

To partnership groups and alliances, editors and leaders (Please inform
your local contacts)

VOICES for CHANGE
Fuelling a national debate on the future use of land in Britain

October 6, Kingsley Hall, Bromley-by-Bow, East London
Organised by the Permaculture Association (Britain)

What is your opinion on the current use of land, agriculture and planning
policies in this Country?

In the light of the foot and mouth epidemic, a disaster to farming in
Britain, the Permaculture Association of Britain is hosting a public
debate.  We believe that a dialogue between Government and the many voices
of people who have a stake in the use of land in this
country is the only way to safeguard our land as a rich and sustainable
resource available for all and not limited to a chosen few.

The Government has announced a new Policy Commission on Farming and Food
which will advise on how the UK will achieve a sustainable rural
economy.  Corporations and Landowners continue
to dominate land use.  The new Department for the Environment, Food and
Rural Affairs (DEFRA) no longer includes planning, now under the Department
of Transport and Local Government, leaving agriculture divorced from planning.

Access to land for sustainable, low-scale, and low-impact use for food,
livelihood and housing remains largely excluded when such activities are
proven to be a solution.

Shape the debate - and voice your opinion, highlight your issues and help
us to set the agenda for government in the UK and where we go from here.
END.

>The Permaculture Association (Britain) can be contacted at:
>Postal address: BCM Permaculture Association, London, WC1N
>3XX
>Tel / Fax: 0845 4581805
>Email: office at permaculture.org.uk
>Web: www.permaculture.org.uk
>Charity number 290897.
>
>The following section of this message contains a file attachment
>prepared for transmission using the Internet MIME message format.
>If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,
>you should be able to save it or view it from within your mailer.
>If you cannot, please ask your system administrator for assistance.

  ----------

The Land Is Ours
... A Landrights Movement for All

The Land Is Ours campaigns peacefully for access to the land, its resources
and the decision making processes affecting them, for everyone -
irrespecitive of race, age, or gender.

Postal address :
16B Cherwell St, OXFORD, OX4 1BG, England.
or contact us at:  office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Press enquiries :  07961 460171
website :  http://www.oneworld.org/tlio/

For a year's subscription for the TLIO  newsletter (3 times a year), we are
asking for £3 per annum.  Please make cheques payable to "The Land Is Ours".