[diggers350] Re: HELP SAVE DEVON'S COUNTRYSIDE (It is already saved)

msbrown at cwcom.net msbrown at cwcom.net
Wed Feb 6 18:17:32 GMT 2002

Your message was approved by me (list moderator) because I thought your
argument was worth being shared. You make some interesting points, and good to
hear the statsitics and learn of your quotes.  However, I disagree with you.

Since you obviously take the line of the Housebuilders Federation, would you
consider that the main motivation in their argument for large scale housing
projects is profit maximasation, and not fulfilling the opening up the vast
swathes of our green and pleasant land to live and work in.  But probably what
is the biggest failure in your argument is your non-recognition ofr the fact
thatthese type of large scale developments will only further distort the
housing market against the interests of those most in need (i.e. those for whom
the cost of owning their own home is already beyond their reach). Preferential
building of free-market homes for sale always disadvantages the poor.

Not only that, what we need in environmental criteria so that development in
the countryside 9for which, yes, there is an obvious need) should be subject to
strict environmental conditions, such as The land is Ours' 15 Criteria for
Sustainable development.

Yours most forcefully,

Mark.S.Brown (TLIO)