Housing Scam - The Figures - discuss

Tony Gosling tony at gaia.org
Fri Jan 11 15:20:22 GMT 2002

THE COST OF THE LAND AND THE COST OF THE HOUSE ON IT

How much does a home cost to build?

Seems like a simple enough question....

1. An average semi-detatched house costs roughly 1,200 man-hours to build.
(this includes building, transport and manafacture time of all processed
building materials)
2. It lasts for 100 years (plus).
3. That's roughly 12 hours work a year to build the house.
4. Roughly three adults to a house.
Each of these adults should be paying roughly 3.5 to 4 hrs. wages per year,
say £25 for the roof over their head.
5. But we actually pay roughly 100 times that! a staggering 10,000%
increase on what it should be if we were't paying for inflated land prices
too.

[!!!!!!]

Why are we willing to pay so much over the odds?  Because a home is one of
the basic essentials in life - we have virtually no choice over whether to
have a home or not and the 'landowners' know it. So we have to pay what the
'system' demands.

Most of the money we pay for a house goes towards the land value that the
house is built on, ie. the planning permission.