Diggers Trail - 1st April

office at tlio.demon.co.uk office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 18:16:01 GMT 2002

According to the Diggers trail group there will be a walk along the now complete Diggers trail of 2-3 hours on 1st April 2002 - contact Tony on 0117 944 6219 or e-mail office at tlio.demon.co.uk for details nearer the time.

Plans for a grand opening of the Diggers Trail around St. George's Hill have been delayed for a few months waiting for a convenient time for Tony Benn to perform an opening ceremony. The idea is to have a vintage bus tour around the various sites marked by the trail with refreshments to mark the trail's inauguration sometime this spring or summer. 

The Diggers trail has boards up at the following five sites.
1. St. Mary's church Walton where the Diggers were imprisoned by landowner Francis Drake
2. Cobbett's Hill - site of the Diggers memorial stone unveiled in December 2000 by stonemason Andrew Whittle
3. St George's Hill - Byfleet Road by the bus museum
4. Cobham town centre - many of the diggers came from Cobham 
5. Little Heath - This is where the Diggers moved after having their camp on St Georges Hill destroyed in August 1649. They lived here for nine months to April 1650 and had several run-ins with parson Platt.

Further information and copies of the Diggers Trail leaflet from Elmbridge
Museum - Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 8DE.

Website to be inaugurated soon http://www.diggerstrail.co.uk

More information about the Diggers350 mailing list