Diary of a Revolution

tliouk <office@tlio.demon.co.uk> office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 01:03:21 GMT 2003

>From Argentina: A New kind of Revolution

Out of the ordinary
by Naomi Klein
Saturday January 25, 2003
The Guardian
Ref: http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,880651,00.html

Diary of a Revolution
by John Jordan
Saturday January 25, 2003
The Guardian
Ref: http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,880910,00.html

Activist John Jordan gives an eyewitness account of a country working
to forget its past

Rumours of a hurricane
'We know what they are against, but what do they want?' I was tired
of hearing this refrain, targeted at the global anti-capitalist
movements. We knew what we wanted: another kind of globalisation,
where life comes before money, where direct democracy and ecological
sustainability become the norm, where progress is defined by the
amount of diversity and dignity in the world, rather than the amount
of cash that changes hands. The problem was that we didn't know how
to get it. Many of us realised that, however many economic summits we
protested against or GM crops we uprooted, we weren't really bringing
the new worlds we were dreaming of any closer.

In early 2002, while the movements were trying to come to terms with
the fear and uncertainty caused by September 11 and the war on
terror, something happened that no one expected. Through the
movements' emails, websites and face-to-face gatherings, stories
emerged of a land where politicians were so discredited that they
were ridiculed wherever they went, angry middle-class women smashed
up banks, occupied factories were run by their workers, ordinary
people held meetings to decide how to run their neighbourhoods, and
thousands of unemployed people blocked highways, demanding food and
jobs. It sounded like France in 1968 or Spain during the civil war,
and yet it was lasting for months across a country 11 times the size
of the UK, in a state that was recently one of the world's top 20
strongest economies, a sparkling model of emerging markets, the most
compliant pupil of the International Monetary Fund, with a capital
city known as the 'Paris of Latin America'. It was happening in
Argentina.

I had always wondered what a real grassroots rebellion would look
like, how it would feel, what it would smell like. I had imagined
huge crowds spontaneously taking to the streets, the smell of teargas
drifting across barricades, the noise of hundreds of thousands of
voices calling for a new world as the government fled from office and
people took control of their everyday lives. All of these things have
happened in Argentina over the past year, inspiring activists from as
far afield as South Africa, Italy, Thailand and Belgium to visit and
see how a crippling economic tragedy was being transformed into an
extraordinary laboratory for creating alternative economic models, to
witness the reinvention of politics from the bottom up.

Last September, after several trips to Argentina, I decided to give
up my job and my flat in England and move there for an indefinite
period, convinced that the lessons I could learn could one day be
applied to the anti-capitalist movements closer to home. It did not
take me long to realise that it is not the stench of tear gas or the
clamour of the angry crowd, but the smell of cooking and the gentle
chatter of neighbours meeting late into the night that best reflects
the popular rebellion that is taking place here.

The piqueteros

I met Carlos, an unemployed telephone technician in his 50s. He is
part of the MTD (movement of unemployed workers), one of the most
radical branches of the enormous unemployed movement, the piqueteros,
that kick-started the rebellion in the mid-1990s with their road
blockades (piquetes), in which families blocked highways, demanding
unemployment subsidies, food and jobs. We met in a huge, abandoned
electronics factory, which Carlos's group dreams of transforming into
a self-managed organic farm, clinic and media centre. He said that
his most profound political moment since the December 2001 uprising
was seeing three young piqueteros faint from hunger. 'Our main aim
now is to have enough bread for each other,' he said. 'After that, we
can concentrate on other things.'

The Argentinian media's image of the piqueteros has been one of
masked youths blocking roads with burning tyres. The everyday reality
is very different, but the smell of baking bread does not make
headlines. Their main work is creating what they call the solidarity
economy, an autonomous, non-profit economic system based on need.
During the roadblocks, they demand a specific number of unemployment
subsidies, and usually get them from local government. The subsidies
are shared and used to fund community projects. Some piquetero groups
don't delegate leaders to meet officials, but instead demand that the
officials come to the blockades so that everyone can collectively
decide whether to accept any offers - they have too often seen
leaders and delegates bought off, corrupted, killed or otherwise
tainted by power.

A friend took me to an extraordinary MTD popular education session.
It was held in a back yard in Admiralte Brown, a huge, sprawling
neighbourhood on the edges of Buenos Aires where hope is in short
supply and unemployment runs at 40-50%. Most of the participants were
in their early 20s. Despite barking dogs and small children running
between chairs, they seemed intensely focused as Lola, the energetic
facilitator, ran a workshop debating the differences between MTD and
capitalist forms of production.

The level of debate was astounding: these young people took turns to
stand up and eloquently explain how the different systems are
organised, describe their alienating experiences of working for
managers, their disdain for profit-driven economies and the joy that
collective work provides. After the workshop, Maxi, one of the
founders of the group, took me on a tour around his neighbourhood. He
listed the range of activities they had organised. 'We have a group
building sewage systems and another that helps people who only have
tin roofs put proper roofs on their houses. There is a press group
that produces our newsletter and makes links with the outside media.
We have the Copa de Leche, which provides a glass of milk to children
every day. We have a store that distributes second-hand clothes, two
new bakeries, a vegetable plot and a library.'

That afternoon, we visited one of the two weekly assemblies that were
happening simultaneously in Admiralte Brown. A group of 70 or more
stood in a circle. They discussed plans for demonstrations, the
problems of the past week, how to get children's shoes, and how to
resolve conflicts between group members. It was mostly women -
earlier, Lola had told me how women were hit hardest by unemployment:
when there is no food on the table, no clothes for the children, it
is women who are at the sharp end of poverty. Often the men felt
rejected and paralysed by the loss of identity that followed
unemployment, so it is the women who are first to take part in
roadblocks. 'Women's struggle is the pillar of the movement,' Lola
explained.

After the assembly, Maxi showed me the Copa de Leche, the project
that distributes milk to children, housed in an abandoned municipal
building next to a plot of land the piqueteros had taken down the
fences that surrounded the plot and used them to build the base of a
huge, roaring outdoor oven on the edges of a football pitch that had
probably never seen grass but was now surrounded by newly-dug
vegetable plots. Fences being pulled down and turned into something
practical struck me as a beautiful metaphor for the transformation of
the private spaces of profit into shared tools of social change. A
transformation that involves people beginning to build the life that
they want and preparing to defend it - rather than simply protesting
against what they don't want. The piqueteros know you can gain
nothing by winning power. They don't want to take over the crumbling
centre; they want to reclaim the edges, bring back into their
community life that's worth living. 'We are building power, not
taking it,' is how Maxi described it.

Whenever I asked them what had changed in their lives since they
became involved in the piquetero movement, they told me that the
loneliness and isolation of unemployment and poverty had disappeared.
Tuti, a punky 21-year-old who is in charge of the piqueteros'
security, said, 'The biggest change was the relationship with other
people in the neighbourhood, the development of friendship and the
possibility of sharing ... When you're on a roadblock and you have
nothing to eat, the people next to you share their food. Now I feel
I'm living in a large family, my neighbours are my family.'

The assemblies

A football careers across the bank lobby and hits the steel door of
the vault with a thud. 'Goal!' scream the kids whose improvised game
weaves between the soup kitchen, art workshops and video screenings
in the new HQ of the Parque Lezama Sur assembly, an occupied bank.

The local assemblies meet weekly, are particularly popular in middle-
class areas and are open to anyone, so long as they don't represent a
political party. The first one I attended involved some 40 people: a
breastfeeding mother, a lawyer, a hippy in batik flares, a taxi
driver, a nursing student... a slice of Argentinian society standing
on a street corner, passing around a megaphone and discussing how to
take back control of their lives. It seemed so normal, yet this was
perhaps the most extraordinary radical political event I'd ever
witnessed: ordinary people discussing self-management, understanding
direct democracy and putting it into practice.

In the past eight months, there has been a shift that can best be
described as a move away from the politics of quantity towards that
of quality. The various projects are bearing fruit and, most
importantly, establishing links between assemblies and other parts of
the movement. Despite the rising poverty, destitution and despair,
there are self-managed neighbourhood assembly projects right across
the city. In one of the several occupied banks, they cook meals for
150 people every weekend, while on the top floor independent media
activists update their website. Assemblies plant organic vegetable
gardens in vacant lots, while a self-managed clinic for workers in
the occupied factories is being set up.

The assemblies have also become a stand-by citizens' force against
police repression. Last June, while a book by asamblistas was being
printed at a self-managed printing firm in Buenos Aires, police
arrived to evict those in the building. A call went out to the local
assembly and literally as the book was coming off the presses, they
were forcing the police away and securing the building.

In the age of global networks, it is the small-scale and the local
that have the greatest strength, something that activists in the
global anti-capitalist movement understand and that many in
Argentina's social movements are practising. 'Our groups don't get
big and bureaucratised,' one piquetera told me. 'They just divide and
multiply.' She knows the era of the giant political monster is over.

THINKING BY DOING

Whether you talk to a middle-class member of an assembly or an
unemployed participant in the piquetero movement, there is a common
understanding that you can't change society with an overnight
revolution. They understand that change is a step-by-step process of
talking and listening, of dreaming and constructing alternatives that
are rooted in our own neighbourhoods, and that each neighbourhood,
each participant, each place must be profoundly interconnected and
mutually supported.

'We can't do it on our own, and we shouldn't do it on our own,' says
Fabian, a member of Mocase, the autonomous peasants' movement from
the northern province of Santiago de L'Estera. 'No one can construct
a new world by themselves.' When I met Fabian, he was attending a
meeting trying to create a national network of the 'solidarity
economy', where goats from the provinces can be swapped for bread
from piqueteros bakeries, seeds traded for popular education and so
on.

'The resistance can't stand still,' he says. 'It has to keep moving
to keep healthy. We have always made mistakes. It's important to make
mistakes.' He frowns deeply. 'At first we were like this' - his huge
brown hand jerks like a rollercoaster - 'but now we realise that
sustainable change is slow.' His hand pauses in midair and begins to
trace a gently undulating wave, gradually rising higher and higher.
And it's that gently undulating wave, like a gentle tide, that best
describes the reinvention of popular politics that is taking place in
Argentina.

'Do you have any hope for what's happening here?' I ask Pablo, an
active member of his assembly.

'I don't feel hope abstractly, only when I'm doing something do I
feel it,' he replies.

In this economically devastated country, hope has become a verb; not
an abstract noun, but a process. Politics has been freed from the icy
grip of intangible ideologies, liberated from abstract dreams of a
pending revolution. The futile dream of taking power and running
governments has been abandoned, and politics has returned to the
physical processes of everyday life, to the necessities of the
immediate moment. In Argentina, politics thinks by doing.

ยท John Jordan is an anti-globalisation activist, and is a member of a
collective currently working on a book, We Are Everywhere: The
Irresistible Rise Of Global Anti-capitalism, to be published later
this year by Verso (weareeverywhere.org).