The Battle of the Beanfield, 18 yrs on

tliouk office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 16:37:38 BST 2003

Apologies for sending the last article to the list without an intro

yes this was a veiled party-political from the BNP, which I didn't
realise until after I'd just copied and pasted it from Indymedia (and
btw, THE AUTHOR OF THE PIECE WASN'T TASH, rather he was quoted as a
source of info for the piece by whoever wrote it).
It is of course laughable that the BNP see themselves as supporters
of travellers! Unbelievable! Their sophisticated craft here in using
a story like the Battle of the Beanfield, an historic instance of
state brutality in the history of these islands, to weave together a
tenous argument about loss of soveriegnty to the EU and state
repression, whilst disguising their rabid, racist ideology with a
veneer of legitimisation shows that they self-justify themselves with
this tokenistic opportunistic stab at comradeship with a past
instance in the people's struggle against state brutality which at
the time I'm sure none of their members had any contact with
whatsoever.
Reference to the article and other comments to the article posted to
Indymedia, go to:
http://uk.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=70220&group=webcast

- In diggers350 at yahoogroups.com, "tliouk" <office at t...> wrote:
> The battle of beanfield, 18 yrs on
> author: tash
>
> 18 years on and some still remember.
>
> A small, albeit one sided, battle took place on June 1st 1985
between
> what the then, Tory media called "New Age travellers" and the
> enforcers of "law and order" in the vicinity of the
> Hampshire/Wiltshire border, close to the ancient stones of a
national
> treasure - Stonehenge.
>
> The details make very uncomfortable reading, even more so when read
> today, 18 years later, and sit ill at ease with the idea that
> the "ordinary people" have liberty in their own land, free from
> Government repression just because of their non-conformist beliefs.
>
> When elected to Government the BNP is going to be tough on crime,
but
> we also have a very clear idea about the definition of "crime".
>
> Real crime as opposed to repression
>
> Since 1973 when we had the misfortune to be shackled to the (then)
> Common Market, which has evolved into today's EU, over 100,000 new
> pieces of legislation have been incorporated into the UK law books!
> Almost every aspect of daily life is subject to criminalisation.
With