The New Peasants Revolt

tliouk office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Wed May 14 19:37:43 BST 2003

it's all been said b4! but, this is a good article here just 4 the
record:

ZNet | Global Economics
The New Peasants Revolt
by Katherine Ainger
May 11, 2003

Everything in a supermarket has a story to tell, if only we could
find it out. The produce defies seasons, geography, wars, distance,
nature. It is winter outside, but inside the supermarket golden-shell
pineapples from Côte d'Ivoire, still small and green, bathe in
humming halogen light. There is civil unrest in the Côte d'Ivoire,
but it does not seem to have disrupted the flow of tropical fruit to
the cold North. Next to them are strange, knobbly bits of ginger dug
from Chinese soil. Gala apples from France, bagged up and reduced to
half price. Avocados from Israel and Chile. Pale tomatoes from the
Canary Islands, where it is always warm, but the fruit must be picked
green. 'Ready-to-go' meals fill the chiller cabinets. Here, wrapped
in plastic, are small clusters of perfect baby corn and mange tout
from plantations in Kenya. Here is cod, pulled up by trawler from
the over-fished, churning cold sea of the northeast Atlantic.

Though we can't hear their stories, what we choose to put in our
supermarket baskets writes its own language upon our bodies and our
moods, our families, our economies, our landscapes. It can mean life
or death in some distant country whose name we can only vaguely
discern printed on the packaging. We are, all of us, affected by
trends in the global economy, in the most intimate and fundamental way
possible - through our food.

Only rarely do these connections become visible, when the people who
produce the food remind us of them. Those who work the countryside
are a potent source of cultural identity, whether it's the campesinos
of Mexico, the gauchos of Argentina, the paysannes of France,
Australian conkies, or the flat-capped Yorkshire farmer. Their images
are used to market food to us, because we associate them with rural
life, nature and rude good health. But the real people who produce
our food are losing their livelihoods and leaving the land.

Over the past two years British dairy farmers, in their grief and
anger over plummeting prices, have blockaded supermarkets up and down
the country, spilled their milk, boycotted suppliers.

Why blockade the supermarkets? The average price British farmers
receive for their milk is the lowest for 30 years. The bargaining
power of the supermarkets is so great that prices for farmers are
going ever downwards. In 2000, supermarket giant Tesco introduced
international 'reverse' auctions for its suppliers all over the
world. They were asked to bid against each other until Tesco got the
lowest price.

Supermarkets blame the consumer for wanting 'cheap food' - yet 50
years ago farmers in Europe and North America received between 45 and
60 per cent of the money that consumers spent on food. Today that
proportion has dropped to just 7 per cent in Britain and 3.5 per cent
in the US.1

Even that ultimate symbol of rugged individualism, the cowboy, is an
endangered species. Most of the ranchers of the Great Plains of
Nebraska are permanently broke, mortgaging or selling off their land
and cattle to survive. The cowboy is riding into the final sunset as
the Great Plains become steadily depopulated.

The details are specific to each country but the broad trends are
international: the crisis in farming is global.

The six founding countries of Europe's Common Agricultural Policy had
22 million farmers in 1957; today that number has fallen to 7
million. Just 20 per cent of the European Union's wealthiest and
largest farmers get 80 per cent of EU subsidies. Canada lost three-
quarters of its farmers between 1941 and 1996 and the decline
continues. In 1935 there were 6.8 million working farmers in the US;
today the number is under 1.9 million - less than the total US prison
population.

Suicide is now the leading cause of death among US farmers, occurring
at a rate three times higher than in the general population. In
Britain farmers are taking their own lives at a rate of one a week.2

In poorer countries the situation is even worse. Half of the world's
people still make their living from the land - and it is they who
feed the majority of the world's poorest people. In South Asia and
sub-Saharan Africa more than 70 per cent of the population makes a
living from the land. Agriculture counts, on average, for half of
total economic activity.

In the Philippines the number of farm households in the corn-
producing region of Mindanao is set to fall by half. Between 1985 and
1995 the number of people employed in agriculture in Brazil fell from
23 million to 18 million. In China an estimated 400 million farmers
are in danger of losing their livelihoods entirely. Everywhere small-
scale farmers are being 'disappeared'.

All eaten up

Why is this happening? Somebody, somewhere, must be benefiting. The
answer is not hard to discover. It lies not in the soil, but inside
the corporations which have become known collectively as
'agribusiness'. They traverse the planet buying at the lowest
possible price, putting every farmer in direct competition with every
other farmer. While the price of crops has been pushed down - often
even below the cost of production - the prices of inputs such as seed,
fertilizers and pesticides have gone up.

Control of the 'food-chain' is being concentrated in ever-fewer
hands. According to Bill Hefferman, rural sociologist at the
University of Missouri, in some cases there is 'seamless and fully
integrated control of the food system from gene to supermarket
shelf'.3 When the two giant corporations Monsanto and Cargill went
into partnership they controlled seed, fertilizer, pesticides, farm
finance, grain collection, grain processing, livestock-feed
processing, livestock production and slaughtering, as well as several
processed-food brands. This system, developed in the US, is being
exported to other countries in the name of globalization.

This level of control is one of the reasons why genetically modified
(GM) seeds are of such concern. They give agribusiness yet more
weapons with which to enforce total dependency on their patented
seeds. Some of them require own-brand herbicides and even own-
brand 'trigger' chemicals (known as 'traitor' technology) that the
farmer has to apply for before the seed will germinate.

This is the secret of the disappearance of the family farmer in the
North - and the peasantry in the South. To disappear them, aside from
killing them, you must turn them into vulnerable workers on an
assembly line, without control over their own operations, and obliged
to corporations.

Agribusiness writes the rules of international trade. Cargill was
largely responsible for the Agreement on Agriculture at the World
Trade Organization (WTO), which liberalizes the global market in
agricultural goods. Farmers, particularly in poor countries, find it
impossible to compete with cheap imports. One James Enyart of Monsanto
said of the WTO's 'intellectual property' agreement (known
as 'TRIPs') which makes its ownership of seeds and genetic material
possible worldwide: 'Industry has identified a major problem in
international trade. It crafted a solution, reduced it to a concrete
proposal and sold it to our own and other governments.'

Why does it matter that small, 'inefficient' producers are being
eradicated by globalized, corporate agriculture? Free-trade theory is
based on the idea that countries should specialize, produce the
things that they make best and buy in everything else. But, as Kevan
Bundell from Christian Aid says: 'It makes little sense for poor
countries or poor farmers to put themselves at more risk if they have
to rely on the efficient functioning of markets which all too often
fail or don't exist.'4

How 'efficient' is a system of agriculture that ignores
('externalizes') the huge costs of removing chemical contamination
from water or losing genetic diversity? How 'wholesome' is it to
create new diseases in animals and antibiotic resistance in people?
How 'cheap' is the expense of public subsidies to private
agribusiness, of global transport or social breakdown in rural areas?

Prevailing free-market thinking asks why we should provide support
just to keep people in a state of 'backwardness' and rural poverty.
But experience shows us that when these people lose their rural
livelihoods, only a few will find better jobs in the city. Many will
end up in enormous and growing urban slums.

'The future for peasant incomes and employment is grim,' says Chen
Xiwen, deputy director of the Chinese State Council's research
centre. According to Chen, in 2001 over 88 million workers migrated
from rural to urban areas in China, most of them employed in 'dirty,
hard, dangerous and unsafe conditions'.5

The question is not whether we have any right to condemn people to
the difficult life of a poor farmer - an accusation often thrown at
those who oppose the global-trade regime and the food cartel that
runs it. The real question is whether vulnerable farmers themselves
have meaningful choices. They need an international voice for their
own priorities.

Let them eat trade Nettie Webb, a Canadian farmer explains: 'The
difficulty for us, as farming people, is that we are rooted in the
places where we live and grow our food. The other side, the corporate
world, is globally mobile.'

To put it another way, global- trade rules might be fundamentally
transforming agriculture, but as one sceptic asked: 'can one envision
a coalition of Belgian, Dutch, French, Italian, Uruguayan, Brazilian
and New Zealand farmers marching on a GATT (WTO) meeting in Punta del
Este? And what could they demand to benefit them all, since they
are all in competition with one another?' 6

In fact Via Campesina has been marching on every WTO meeting from
1994 onwards. 'We will not be intimidated. We will not
be "disappeared",' they have declared. This global alliance of small
and family farmers, peasants, landless and indigenous people, women
and rural labourers, has a membership of millions - the vast majority
from poor countries - and they're putting an alternative agricultural
paradigm on the map.

It's based on the idea of 'food sovereignty'. It is, they say, 'the
RIGHT of peoples, communities and countries to define their own
agricultural, labour, fishing, food and land policies which are
ecologically, socially, economically and culturally appropriate to
their unique circumstances.'

They believe food is a human right, not a commodity, and that their
job - the production of food - is fundamental to all human existence.
This attitude is summed up by a food co-op member's retort to
Brazilian President Cardoso when he said that agriculture had to
submit to the law of the market: 'Very well, Mr President. When
Brazil no longer needs food, then you can let agriculture go
bankrupt.' 7

The farmers of Via Campesina argue that nothing as important as food
should be ruled by the WTO. They've been leading the campaign to take
agriculture out of its remit entirely. This does not mean that they
are 'anti-trade'. They believe in trading goods which a country
cannot produce itself. Once a country has supported its own food
needs and production it should be free to trade the surplus.

I spent time with Via Campesina at the 2002 World Social Forum in
Porto Alegre, Brazil, where they explained their vision in more
depth. I'm in the courtyard of the Convent del Capuchino. There are
mango and papaya trees hung with unripe green fruit. Via Campesina
delegates - people of few words - sit on benches, sip sweet coffee
and contemplate.

José Bocquisso Jr explains the views of the National Peasants' Union
in Mozambique. 'Mozambique was one of the largest cashew-nut
processors in the world,' he says. 'But because of the IMF the
industry was privatized and the processing plants were closed...
People should concentrate on producing food for themselves, not
products for export...  If we produce a lot of cotton the price ends
up being below the cost of production, and people are stranded with
piles of cotton, but with no food and no money. In our organization
we concentrate on producing food, we encourage our members first to
provide for their daily needs. Then it doesn't matter so much if they
don't have money, because they are secure in food and have guaranteed
the ability to feed their families.' His group is part of the
expanding African contingent in Via Campesina. 'It is very
strengthening to feel part of a global movement. World powers have to
be fought globally.'

Via Campesina is not anti-technology. Its vision is, however, based
on a model of agriculture built from the ground up, in which farmers'
knowledge has a significant place. Indeed, all Via Campesina's
arguments about food and farming - whether GMOs, access to land or
markets - come down to one central issue: control.

Indra Lubis, part of a coalition of 13 Indonesian peasant unions with
900,000 members, explains that rejection of genetically modified seed
and pesticides is about self-determination: 'With Monsanto, who have
planted GM cotton in south Sulawesi, we'll have to depend on them for
seed. They want to control cotton and food production. As peasants,
we'll be made dependent on multinational corporations. But we are
independent when we develop our own agriculture. We use our own
productive system, with no chemical fertilizer or herbicides. We use
local seeds and local fertilizer. In Indonesia we have so many
varieties of seed. It is a deep part of our culture.'

Seventy per cent of the world's farmers are women - most of the
people in this courtyard are men. Rosalva Gutierrez, from the Belize
Association of Producer Organizations, tells me: 'It is always the
women who take the hardest part as farmers, mothers, wives. We have
many strong women but they have been abused for so many years,
women's self-esteem is very low. So we give workshops and training...
I'm co-ordinator of the women's project and on the international
co-ordination of Via Campesina - I try to ensure that what Via
Campesina says on paper about gender equality becomes reality!'

And she tells me: 'We don't see farmers as being from different
countries. Farmers everywhere understand the same point.'

Via Campesina argues that food production has a unique role to play
in rural livelihoods, health, ecology and culture.

Kanya Pankiti, a peasant from the south of Thailand - on her first
trip out of the country - says the way her people grow food preserves
the forest, the watershed and the soil. She thinks the Brazilians
aren't growing enough trees. 'The way Brazilians do agriculture now
will cause soil erosion,' she worries, picking and nibbling leaves
she recognizes from home - it has never occurred to Brazilians to
cook with them.

Kanya knows a lot about trees. She says: 'The Thai forest department
doesn't believe that people can live in the forest and preserve it.
The reality is, we have lived in the forest for a hundred years. It
is not the villagers who are destroying the forest, but the loggers
clear-cutting. When the forest is clear-cut the land becomes less
fertile.' Her house is outside a new National Park zone, her land
inside it, and they want to clear her out. 'When they declare a
National Park,' she says, 'they sit in an air-conditioned office and
look at a map.'

What does she think of the World Social Forum? She's going back to
tell her village 'that they are not alone in the world, struggling
for land, and we can link up with those in other countries'.

For anyone who eats, the question of who controls the food chain -
farmers, or an ever-more powerful cartel of food corporations - is no
less pertinent than it is for Indra, Kanya or José. At the very same
time as consumers in the rich world are objecting more than ever to
factory farming, to the use of antibiotics in livestock, to pesticide
residues in food, to the loss of biodiversity and to food scares such
as BSE, this very same model is being set up for replication around
the world, often disguised as 'development'.

Mario Pizano, a member of the Confederación Campesino del Suerto in
Chile, joins the conversation. 'The big companies are buying up all
the land,' he complains. 'With contract farming, they tell us: "We'll
buy your food only if you buy the chemicals you need from us." They
give us chemicals that are forbidden in the US. Then we have to give
them a section of our crop. If we can't, then they take our land.'

But he, and millions like him, refuse to become serfs on their own
land. As we part, he takes off his green cap, emblazoned with the
name of his organization, and gives it to me. 'This organization is
part of me,' he says.

1 'What's Wrong with Supermarkets', Corporate Watch, 2002.
2 Bringing the Food Economy Home, Norberg-Hodge, Merrifield,
Gorelick, Zed Books 2002.
3 'Where have all the farmers gone?', Brian Halweil,
WorldWatch 2000.
4 'Forgotten Farmers: Small farmers, trade, and sustainable
agriculture', Kevan Bundell, Christian Aid 2002.
5 'The Forgotten 800 Million: How Rural Life is Dying in the
New China', Guardian Newspapers, 18/10/2002.
6 'The Via Campesina: Consolidating an International Peasant
and Farm Movement', Annette Aurelie Desmarais, Journal of
Peasant Studies, January 2002.
7 Cutting the Wire, Branford, Rocha, Latin America Bureau
2002.