[diggers350] Re: Coats, Cahill and LVT - taxation reform is separate from land reform

Chris Wilson jenchris at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 9 09:35:51 GMT 2004

Tax raising  and land reform  should be separate issues.

TAX REFORM
Multiple tax points for products and services and corporate and personal
income taxation just means that more and more resource is tied up with bean
counting.
A lot of this bean counting and red tape produces nothing in the way of GDP
, ties up talented people wastes their effort in what is effectively an
inefficient out of date legacy of a prior era and is a lead weight around
the necks of us all but it has to be paid for somehow and that means that
the real producers foot the bill in higher taxation and lower standards of
living.
If county A has 15 % of its effort tied up in taxation collection and its
management then country B with 5% taxation overhead has a massive advantage
in being fitter to provide for its citizen needs. The UK is a dead zone for
innovation, healthcare, education and motivation in general and a lot of
that is directly related to inefficiency and over taxation.

As an aside basic tax in the UK is  about 25% + NI + day to day costs of
vat, fuel levies , stamp duties, road fund tax etc never mind inheritance,
gains tax and stamp duties
All in all cumulative base rate taxation is easily 50%  for most workers and
60% for higher rate  earners do the math yourself and find all the other
hidden costs that are really taxes.

Simplify the tax system  to maybe just a purchase tax and a income/profit
tax at 1 rate for all does away with all the effort and expense wasted on
tax law , tax accountants, tax inequalities then we can look at the issues
on land reform in a separate light

Now that I have cleared up the tax system I will have a thing about land
usage!

[Chris Wilson]