E-mail debate on "Info' re Land Value Tax"

Mark Brown markibrown at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 21:01:26 GMT 2004

Mark. S. Brown from the Land is Ours here.

I completely disagree with this universal applicability of LVT, however
attractive the benefits of government meddling in people's personal affairs
(i.e. shares, savings ...etc). A much more progressive policy would be an
LVT levy only over landholding over a certain size (minus areas of
conservation status) wedded together with a new variation of the old
"Betterment levy" as applied to developments above a certain level. Also, it
would should not apply to planning permissions that encompassed a
sustainability criteria which would be agreed at the district/regional
level.

You said: "Many people here and in the USA who are to the right of George
Bush want less Govt and less taxation with essential Govt policies paid for
from the Land Value Tax."

>>>That would appear to me reason enough not to be in favour of such a
>>>universally applied policy.

LVT applied in such a form could be nothing but extraordinarily dangerous
and a terrifying prospect, particularly for the still small, but growing
number of the rural population who are carving out an alternative existence
living off the land, trading locally produced food and who manage the land
on a sustainable basis, enhancing local biodiversity. This - what is
considered marginal - sector of the rural population, though still small,
would undoubtedly struggle to cope with a tax on their basic right just to
exist, by virtue of the fact that their existence relies on the opportunity
cost of forgoing financially rewarding employment to sustainably manage
land, which, as you know, is not financially rewarding. Such a measure would
be akin to the final act of extermination of a way of life that has long
been trodden into the ground by the treadmill of intensive agricultural
practice and a widely consented disintegration of a rich cultural tradition
lost in the mists of time to the "white-heat" of economic progress driven by
the unsustaianable "goldrush" of fossil fuel.
Mark Simon Brown