LVT's OK if it's Taxing ONLY the rich

Mark Brown markibrown at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 22 11:59:42 GMT 2004

Is not the ownership of land above a certain landholding size not
ostentatious (and so deserving to be taxed)? Would not a “betterment tax” -
tax on development over a certain development value - (which the Labour Govt
of 1967 brought in only for it to be withdrawn by the Tories in ‘71)  be a
more equitable means of redistributing inordinately large amounts of wealth?
Wouldn’t both such measures combined be a much more effective, humane and
fairer way of raising money than the current council tax?

Of course, also, we wouldn’t need as much tax if rich landowners didn’t get
so much subsidy from the public purse.

I have expressed my worries about why a uniform LVT is a bad idea already.

Mark