Ramblers protest at tor

Tony Gosling tony at gaia.org
Wed Jan 7 12:28:50 GMT 2004

Ramblers protest at tor
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3361143.stm

Vixen Tor: Reclaimed by ramblers
Ramblers have held a mass trespass on one of Dartmoor's
most popular landmarks to protest over its closure.
Vixen Tor at Merrivale was shut to the public when a new
landowner bought it earlier this year.

Mary Alford closed the tor after the insurers said she
could be liable if someone injured themselves in the area.

Rambler Richard Doswell, who was one of about 20 ramblers
at the tor on Thursday, said: "We are not causing any
damage, we are simply exerting our rights to walk on part
of Dartmoor National Park."

Following the closure, a walker reported Mrs Alford to the
Department for Rural Affairs (Defra), alleging that
fertiliser had been spread on the moorland around the tor.

Defra investigated and Mrs Alford has now been charged
with carrying out land improvements without an
environmental impact assessment.

The assessments are required by law so that rare plants,
wildlife and archaeology can be protected from potential
damage caused by any working of land.

Ms Alford declined to comment on the trespass.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3361143.stm

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Tony Gosling - +44 117 944 6219 - mobile +44 7786 952037
"Capitalism is institutionalised bribery" [TG]

All emails are 'cleartext' to the NSA.
http://www.nsa.gov

Familiarise yourself with Jesus of Nazareth's exit strategy.
http://www.bilderberg.org/trib.htm

All facts, no theory. Proofs of a conspiracy.
http://www.bilderberg.org/lucis.htm

My monthly e-bulletin
Check it http://www.bilderberg.org/pepis03.htm
Join it http://www.bilderberg.org/bilder.htm#pepis