[diggers350] Second Homes for the powerful

Toby Blume toby at groundswell.org.uk
Fri Jan 9 09:33:42 GMT 2004

hey there!

i dont want to be the bad guy here and generally i agree with whatcha
saying but......

1) our MPs are paid pretty badly compared with other elected
representatives (and then we're surprised/pissed off when we get crap
ones!). i'm not saying that MPs should be given money for nothing...but
actually if i was living in a distant (to london) part of the UK i'd
kinda want my MP to have somewhere to live in my constituency as well as
having to be in london to represent me (that's without going into the
whole issue of indirect representation and indeed democracy... but
anyway...)

2) homelessness is obviously effected by a lack of suitable/affordable
housing, but its certainly not the only/most important cause. at this
point i could go on and on....but i dont want to bore people
(particularly those who already know what i'd say!). yes we need more
homes. but we also need to address the real causes of homelessness -
poverty, lack of employment/prospects, mental health, dependencies,
relationship break ups... and that's without getting into the whole
question of what happens to people when they become homeless and the
cost of not dealing with that properly (ie long term homelessness and
people who are - quite rightly - chosing to stay outside the system when
what 'the system' offers them is utterly crap).

anyway... dont wanna go on too much.... but did want to point out that
it's not always as simple as slating the bad guys (just cos they're bad
doesnt mean they are always to blame!)

cheers

toby

office at tlio.demon.co.uk wrote:

--
Toby Blume

Groundswell UK
Elmfield House
5 Stockwell Mews
London SW9 9GX

Tel 	020 7737 5500
Fax	020 7733 1305

www.groundswell.org.uk

Change=DissatisfactionxVisionxFirst Steps>Resistance