Traveller camp drives away the bailiffs

Ecovillage Network UK evnuk at gaia.org
Tue Jan 13 10:45:40 GMT 2004

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1121701,00.html

Traveller camp drives away the bailiffs

Steven Morris
Tuesday January 13, 2004
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1121701,00.html

The bailiffs had arrived shortly after first light with orders to evict the
group of travellers from land they had been living on for the last three years.

But by yesterday afternoon, the officials had retreated, driven back by
burning barricades, trenches filled with flaming rubbish and a human chain
which refused to budge.

Day one of "the Battle of Bulkington" ended with the travellers claiming
victory over Nuneaton and Bedworth council, which insists they must move.

The travellers bought the plot of land in the north Warwickshire village of
Bulkington from a farmer almost three years ago, planning to turn it into a
model site complete with its own village green.

Around 20 families moved in but planning permission for a private
travellers' site was refused. Nevertheless, buildings, fences and roads
began to appear on the land, which is in the green belt.

More than a year ago the travellers argued their case in the high court.
Though they lost they still refused to give up their homes, prompting the
council to call in the bailiffs.

But when they arrived the travellers were ready. They set on fire two
caravans and an old van which they had parked at the entrance to the site.
They also torched rubbish piled into two metre-wide trenches which had been
dug around the site. Around 40 men formed a human chain outside the site.

A four-hour standoff, observed by 40 police officers and a number of
firefighters, followed before the bailiffs were called off.

The travellers' spokesman, John Lee, said: "I think we can claim a victory.
There is no way we were letting them in. If they had got past us on the
gate, they would have been confronted by the women and children. All we
want is to protect our homes. Surely the council can work with us to either
find us another site or to leave us in peace at this one? We are not asking
anyone for money, just for permission to live as we want to."

Cliff Podona, of the National Travellers' Group, said: "These people are
living on land that is rightfully theirs and will do everything they can to
avoid eviction. There are women, children and pensioners on the site who
are terrified about what is going on. There are over 40 children enrolled
at the local school who will have their education disrupted if they are
made to leave."

But the council said it would continue to try to remove the travellers.
Spokesman Tim Norton said the council had received information that the
travellers intended to resist the eviction "utilising considerable force".
He added: "Having evaluated the situation it was decided that the eviction
should not proceed today. The council remains committed to ending the
unlawful development of the gypsy site."

--
EcoVillage Network UK PeopleFinder - http://evnuk.ecovillage.org/index.htm
A new contact point for getting involved in the UK EcoVillage movement.

CHAPTER 7 - http://www.tlio.org.uk/chapter7/
The UK's Rural Sustainable Settlement Planning Campaign
'Chapter 7 News' - 16-20pp. quarterly - £2.00 ea. £7.00 per annum sub. from
The Potato Store, Flaxdrayton Farm, South Petherton, Somerset, TA13
chapter7 at tlio.demon.co.uk
Tel. 01460 249204

ECOVILLAGE GUIDE BOOKS - available (postage included) from
http://www.eco-logicbooks.com
Mulberry House, 19 Maple Grove, Bath, BA2 3AF - 01225 484472
UK > 'Diggers and Dreamers' - Annual directory of UK Communities - £6.00
EUROPE > 'Eurotopia' - Directory of Intentional Communities and Ecovillages
in Europe - £15.00
COTTARS AND SQUATTERS > Reccommended: UK land rights history - £10.00

PERMACULTURE MAGAZINE - http://www.permaculture.co.uk/
Quarterly colour mag. for enquiring minds and original thinkers everywhere.
Hyden House Ltd, The Sustainability Centre, East Meon, Hampshire GU32 1HR,
England.
info at permaculture.co.uk
Tel. 01730 823311

ECOVILLAGE NETWORK UK (that's us!) - http://evnuk.ecovillage.org/index.htm
Populating the rhetoric of rural sustainability
Volunteers: Russ Curgenven, Tony Gosling, Pam Norris, Joyce Kallevick.
PO Box 1410, Bristol, BS99 3JP
Tel. 0117 373 0346
evnuk at gaia.org

DIGGERS AND DREAMERS - Searchable community database
http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Diggers & Dreamers, a UK guide to communal living for more than 10 years
c/o Edge of Time Ltd, BCM Edge, London, WC1N 3XX, UK
info at diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Tel. 07000 780536

WWOOF - http://www.wwoof.org/wuk0.html
Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms
Join WWOOF, do some work, stay for free. Membership includes directory
PO Box 2675, Lewes, Sussex, BN7 1RB
fran at wwoof.org

PERMACULTURE ASSOCIATION UK - http://www.permaculture.org.uk
Supports individuals, projects and groups working with permaculture in Britain
Third Floor Studios, 6 Carr Mills, 322 Meanwood Road, Leeds, West
Yorkshire, LS7 2HY
office at permaculture.org.uk
Tel/Fax: 07041 390170 and 0113 262 1718

LOW-IMPACT NEWS - http://www.lowimpactnews.org.uk
The seasonal magazine for and about UK ecovillages
Subscription: £5 unwaged - £10 low paid - £15 reasonable job/institution -
per year
Cheque payable to Low Impact News, Dickie's meadow, New House Cottage,
Sandy Lane, Accrington, BB5 2DH, UK
Tel. 01324 222479

GROUNDSWELL - http://www.groundswell.org.uk
Promoting and developing self-help initiatives with the homeless

U.K. COHOUSING NETWORK - http://www.cohousing.co.uk/
Sharing expertise and experience amongst the U.K. cohousing groups.

FOREST SCHOOL CAMPS - http://www.fsc.org.uk/about.htm
Camps for kids to get back to nature with the minimum of authority.

EUROPEAN FUNDING - http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/funding/intro_en.htm

GLOBAL ECOVILLAGE NETWORK, EUROPEAN OFFICES - http://www.gen-europe.org/
Rosa-Luxemburgstr. 89, D-14806 Belzig, Germany - info at gen-europe.org - 0049
33841 44766
Ecovillage Office, Findhorn, The Park, Forres, Moray, Scotland IV36 0TZ -
ecovillage at findhorn.org - +44 (0)1309 690154
Minutes of meetings
http://www.gen-europe.org/archives/meetings/council/index.html
European email list - post <euevforum at lists.gen-europe.org> -