Fwd: Re: Public Consultation into Quarry at Nine Ladies

office at tlio.demon.co.uk office at tlio.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 12:23:48 GMT 2004

From: ladyrowan100 at yahoo.com

People who want to help are encouraged to write to the PDNPA and
tell them why you are opposed to this development.

(Note: public consultation is for the duration of January only):

The Peak District National Park Authority,
Aldern House,
Baslow Road,
BAKEWELL,
Derbyshire DE45 1AE
Tel: 01629 816200
Fax: 01629 816310
email: aldern at peakdistrict-npa.gov.uk

If you want to be on the phone tree (to be informed when eviction
starts), please get in touch via the site mobile number: 0700
5942212

--- In diggers350 at yahoogroups.com, "tliouk" <office at t...> wrote:
> The Nine Ladies protest site. Set up in 1999 to stop a proposed
3.2million tonnes being extracted from the beautiful and
historically important Peak District National Park. The camp is
about to be evicted allowing the destruction of 30 hectares of land.
Papers were served on Monday 19th Jan, and they are in court for a
possession order on Thursday. People urgently needed to sort out
defences, and to be there if eviction follows shortly after.
Climbers have and are being approached. New site number -
07005942212

> On 12 December 2003 Stancliffe Stone, a subsidiary of Marshalls
PLC submitted a scheme for working the quarries at Endcliffe and
Lees Cross to the Peak District National Park Authority, PDNPA. They
want to extract 3.2 million tons of rock from a 12.95 hectare site
within 100m of the Nine Ladies Stone Circle. The resultant scar will
be 100m deep, devastating the environment of this treasured site for
ever.

> Background info
> The 4000 year old Iron Age Stone Circle, Nine Ladies, has over the
20th Century been threatened by quarrying. Lees Cross and Endcliffe
are old dormant quarries lying on the eastern moorside near the
stones.

> 1952: Stancliffe Obtains Lease of Mineral Rights to Endcliffe and
Lees Cross Quarries from landowner, the Duke of Rutland, Haddon
Hall. The Quarries are given planning consent because of the
pressing need for postwar building materials.

> 1995: Under the environment act Lees Cross and Endcliffe are
declared dormant (inactive). The operator is NOT allowed to work a
dormant quarry unless working practices have been agreed with the
PDNPA.
> Stancliffe is given time to disagree with this decision and does
not do so.
> 1999: Stancliffe make a submission to agree working practices and
reopen the quarries. The submission meets widespread opposition and
is cannot considered because the environmental impact assessment is
not adequate. Nine Ladies Anti-Quarry Campaign, a protest site
situated in the quarries themselves is set up.

> 2001: Stancliffe is bought out by the much larger Marshalls PLC
>
> 2003: Marshalls submit a new scheme for working, with the
necessary paperwork, to reopen the quarries and extract 3.2 million
tons of rock. If the PDNPA revokes the existing consent, they may be
liable compensation equal to the market value of the stone. There is
no way the authority can come up with this sum which could be more
than £100 million.

> Lees Cross and Endliffe are dormant quarries. Marshalls have hired
a barrister to claim that the quarries should be classed as active.
Even though this is blatantly untrue, if this view was upheld in law
the PDNPA would be restricted in what working conditions it could
impose on the quarry.

> As part of the Lease agreement, the landowner, Lord Edward
Manners, receives £30 for each ton of rock extracted. If the quarry
goes ahead Haddon Hall will make around £100 million.

> This raises a serious question: As an example of British
aristocracy, should the Duke of Rutland, pocket £100m for sitting
back and letting the land around this ancient site be destroyed? Or
as a Landowner, should he bite the bullet and protect the land that
he owns? We leave you to make your own mind up