SEI Report- Aviation & Sustainability

Wetzel Dave davewetzel at tfl.gov.uk
Mon Jul 5 10:00:59 BST 2004

Dear John and Howard

I was very interested to read the Summary Recommendations of your SEI report
- Aviation & Sustainability.
I fully support your objective to reduce environmental pollution from air
travel.

Have you considered the auctioning of landing slots at airports as an
environmental tool?

This would generate revenue for the public realm and encourage airlines to
rethink their use of the skies.

Currently, the value of these slots sits in the airlines balance sheets as
an asset for which they have paid nothing.
(In February this year QUANTAS purchased 2 slots at London Heathrow from
another airline for £20m, and there is a landing slot every two minutes).

I used to work for BEA (now part of British Airways). The company initials
stood for "British European Airways" but with so many flights in and out (I
used to roster pilots to Brussels in the morning and Paris in the afternoon)
we joked that the initials BEA stood for "Back Every Afternoon".

Consequently, BA has inherited (on grandfather/mother rights) hundreds of
these highly valuable slots.
A landing slot consists of permission to fly through the air in a particular
place at a specific time.

As no airline has created air, time and space - the key components of a
landing slot, these slots should belong to all of us and could easily be
auctioned by Government on the basis of a 5 year permit for each slot. At
the end of the 5 years a fresh auction would be held.

This process would be similar to Gordon Brown auctioning a part of the
spectrum for 3G mobile phone licences three years ago. The permit was for 20
years and raised £22.4bn. In 17 years time we can all have another bight of
the cherry!

Dave
Dave Wetzel; Vice-Chair; Transport for London.
Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street. London. SW1H 0TL. UK
Tel: 020 7941 4200
Windsor House is close to New Scotland Yard. Buses 11, 24, 148, 211 and
N11 pass the door.
Nearest Tube: St. James's Park Underground station.
Nearest mainline stations: Waterloo and Victoria (Both a walk or short
bus ride).