[diggers350] Crofters electricity crackles despite authoritie s

Wetzel Dave davewetzel at tfl.gov.uk
Wed Jul 21 09:28:56 BST 2004

You write: In 1967 Norman MacCaig's epic poem "A Man in Assynt" told of
modern Highlanders, descendants of those who were cleared from the land,
"kept in their place by English businessmen and the indifference of a remote
and ignorant Government".

Thirty-six years later we have the Land Reform (Scotland) Act - proof,
surely, of political engagement. True, there are still some clinging on to
their acreages, threatening to withold their crumbs of investment if they,
too, go the way of Lord Vestey. But not in Assynt. Or Gigha. Or Knoydart.
Maybe they'll all, eventually, prove McCaig right and reverse the "sad
withdrawal" of people from the bays and sheltered glens by "coming, at last,
into their own again".

But what a timid reform from the Land Reform (Scotland) Act:

The descendants of the victims of the Highland Clearances have to compensate
modern landowners (the inheritors of the past ill deeds)!
Who sets the price for this purchase?

Far better, to introduce a Land Value Tax (LVT) first  - giving a share of
the rental value of all land in town and countryside back to the community,
- and making it cheaper for anybody or any community to buy land.

The annual rental value of a site is based on its optimum permitted use.
The capital value (selling price) is a multiple of the annual rental value
less the value obligations attached to the land.

A 10% LVT applied to all sites would reduce the selling price by 10%.
A 90% LVT would reduce it by 90%!

Why pay £5m to a private land speculator for a site - when with 90% LVT you
could pay only £0.5m?

Landowners not using their land would soon put in on the market if they had
to pay LVT each year.

Dave
Dave Wetzel; Vice-Chair; Transport for London.
Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street. London. SW1H 0TL. UK
Tel: 020 7941 4200
Windsor House is close to New Scotland Yard. Buses 11, 24, 148, 211 and
N11 pass the door.
Nearest Tube: St. James's Park Underground station.
Nearest mainline stations: Waterloo and Victoria (Both a walk or short
bus ride).