Latest on the Roundhouse

Mark Brown markibrown at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 15:03:36 BST 2004

Latest from Tony Wrench:

taken from Tony's website: www.thatroundhouse.info

UPDATE MAY 1st 2004

House is still standing, thanks to actions of Chapter 7 and The Land Is Ours
who conducted a series of actions which included squatting the roundhouse
for four days to prevent it being taken down. They also set up yurt camp
outside the Park offices. Park officials finally agreed to a public meeting,
but at a committee meeting the following Wednesday the members agreed to Nic
Wheeler's (chief exec) suggestion that no public meeting should take place
until the roundhouse is removed. They are still in denial, and have not
heard any of our arguments. Jane and I have received a letter from Ms Milner
that we will again be prosecuted for failing to demolish the roundhouse. As
to whether it is a good idea for them to enforce, Simon Fairlie of Chapter 7
has sent me the following information:

>From Enforcing Planning Control: Good Practice Guide for Local Planning
Authorities, DETR 1997, para 3.5:

"The decisive issue for the planning authority to consider in each case
(their emphasis) is whether the alleged breach of control would unacceptably
affect public amenity or the existing use of land or buildings meriting
protection in the public interest. It is also important to ensure that any
enforcement action which the authority decide to take should be commensurate
with the seriousness of the breach of control it is intended to remedy."

The emphasis on "in each case" is interesting. It suggests that enforcement
should not be carried out simply to secure conformity with policy, but
according to the merits of the case.

This is repeated in PPG 18, Enforcing Planning Control, which I guess is
probably issued as TAN some number or other in Wales.

"In considering any enforcement action, the decisive issue for the LPA
should be whether the alleged breach of control would unacceptably affect
public amenity or the existing use of land or buildings meriting protection
in the public interest. Enforcement action should always be commensurate
with the seriousness of the breach of control to which it relates (for
example it is usually inappropriate to take formal enforcement action
against a trivial or technical breach of control which causes no harm to
amenity in the locality of the site)."

>From the Good Practice Guide Para 1.1: "The planning authority's decision
whether to take enforcement action must always be well founded. Whether it
is 'expedient' for the authority to initiate formal enforcement action, to
remedy or stop an alleged breach of planning control, requires thorough
assessment of the relevant factors in every case." (Their emphasis again).
That assessment is made more difficult if the authority have not produced a
clear statement of enforcement policy to provide a decision -making
framework. Paragraph 9.1 of the booklet entitled "A Charter Guide:
Development Control", published jointly by the National Planning Forum, the
DETR, and the Welsh Office) states: 'The Council's policy on enforcement
will be publicised. It will explain the Cpouncil's enforcement procedures
and practices'.

Simon asks:

Have you asked them whether they have a "statement of enforcement policy"?

>From Enforcing Planning Control: Legislative Provisions and Procedural
Requirements DETR 1997 "The personal circumstances , including such matters
as health, housing needs and welfare of persons suspected of acting in
breach of planning control must be taken into account when deciding to take
enforcement action. (R v Kerrier ex parte Uzell)."

>From a table of Do's and Don'ts for planning officers in the Good Practice
Guide:

"Do: Be prepared to give reasons for taking enforcement action. Do: Be
flexible and consider genuine alternative solutions. Don't: give weight
either way to the fact that the development has already taken place. Don't:
be strong with the weak and weak with the strong."

And in answer to your earlier query, yes the LPA can quash the enforcement
notice themselves. Section 173A of the Town and Country Planning Act states:
"The local planning authority may (a) withdraw an enforcement notice issued
by them or (b) waive or relax any requirement of such a notice and, in
particular, may extend any period specified in accordance with section
173(9)".