land ownership and redistribution

Tony Gosling tony at resourceforge.net
Sun Sep 12 17:22:24 BST 2004

Replying to Kevin Cahill's constructive criticisms and statistics,

First: I'm overjoyed to bin article 1 of the EU convention - or whatever
it is - I believe in seperate sovereign European states not the US of
Europe in its present fascistic (run by big business) form. I'm totally
against this EU concentration of power (good riddance Mr. Mandelson) and
believe in local democracy and autonomy as a great way to politicise
people. get them involved in politics rather than constantly making
decisions more and more miles away from home.
I also think landowners must acknowledge they've had it too good too long.
Of course they'll squeal I need all my land because its security against
bank loans - tough, tough - shouldn't be livinmg beyond yer means boys and
girls.
I deferr to you on the ownership stuff Keving - I don't at all profess to
know my stuff there so thanks for the facts and figures. But I did study
statistics. One can go anywhere along the ownership scale: 70%(ignoring
bank ownership) own 75% of the land - fine. But it's theoretically
possible after that statistic to say that 3% own 50% of the land. Where
you sample the ratios determines the impression you give. Also I totally
agree - the urban and rural situations neet to be looked at seperately.
I know the Irish stuff abt. the Wyndham acts etc. but they did give the
right to buy at a fraction of the previous rents.
The whole point of the bill is to make it a starting position to be
negotiated. Maybe negotiating compensation for old landowners?? But
please, don't give it to them on a plate!
I disagree with you about historical ownership patterns compared to now -
in fact far fewer individuals actually own their own homes than you say -
the banks own them and the misery that can come from owning your own home
and having to work like a slave to pay the death grip mortgage is evident.
In the long gone past there was a completely different population
demographic - copyholds were the commonest form of tenure - and you didn't
own the land - but you did have security of tenure and a rent in man-hours
of work you paid to the lord of the manor.
In fact this was a great system, if you remove the lord of the manor from
the system and replace him with a community meeting or elected 'mayor'
eliminating the need for copyholders to pay time or money rent to anyone.
I envisage a nation - and beyond our borders a world - where every family
has an absolute right to security of tenure with no rent to pay to anyone
- in a way making the individual family sovereign. That's why I love the
crofters they managed to enshrine a great system in law - admittedly theyu
didn't entirely remove the laird's nominal 'ownership' of the land they
rent for peppercorn rents.
This is a dream that - even if aspects of it need to be negotiated away is
about true resiliant freedom and security.

Having said all that I reckon if you and I could agree we'd have a Diggers
style revolution on our hands.

Tony Gosling
<tony at resourceforge.net>
www.tlio.org.uk