Housing association homes are not for sale

Ecovillage Network UK evnuk at gaia.org
Mon Sep 27 17:35:22 BST 2004

Housing association homes are not for sale, pledges Prescott
http://society.guardian.co.uk/conferences/story/0,9744,1313916,00.html?gusrc=ticker-103704

Matt Weaver
Monday September 27, 2004

The deputy prime minister, John Prescott, has snubbed Labour's new election
strategist, Alan Milburn, by ruling out extending the right to buy to
housing associations, and promised to limit the right of council tenants to
buy their homes.

Speaking at a debate on sustainable communities at the party's conference
yesterday, Mr Prescott pledged that housing association homes "are not for
sale".

His remarks come less than a year after Mr Milburn called for big extension
of home ownership - a key vote winner for the Conservatives in the 1980s.

Writing in the Guardian last November, before he rejoined the cabinet as
the man responsible for drawing up Labour's next election manifesto, Mr
Milburn said: "We should explore whether a right to buy or partially buy
can be extended to housing association tenants, provided the associations
can recycle receipts into building."

But yesterday, without referring directly to Mr Milburn, Mr Prescott
dismissed this idea as Tory policy.

He said: "The Tories talk about part ownership, but all they want to do is
extend the right to buy to all housing associations. Well, it ain't going
to happen. Those homes are not for sale."

Mr Prescott also suggested that the government was planning to go further
by scrapping the current right of council tenants to buy their homes at a
discount and replacing it with a new part buy/part rent scheme.

He said: "We've spent over £40bn on right to buy. We've got to ask
ourselves - are we getting value for money?"

He added: "Instead of chasing the market with ever-increasing discounts,
why don't we give more tenants an equity share which they can take with them."

No further details were given, but Mr Prescott and his team are known to
favour a system known as equity stakes, which allows tenants to buy a share
in the value of their home with an interest-free loan.

Mr Prescott told delegates: "We can be more creative in getting people onto
to the housing ladder. We can do a lot more to promote home ownership and
still protect existing social housing stock."

--
EcoVillage Network UK PeopleFinder - http://www.peoplefinder.org.uk
A new contact point for getting involved in the UK EcoVillage movement.

CHAPTER 7 - http://www.tlio.org.uk/chapter7/
The UK's Rural Sustainable Settlement Planning Campaign
'Chapter 7 News' - 16-20pp. quarterly - £2.00 ea. £7.00 per annum sub. from
The Potato Store, Flaxdrayton Farm, South Petherton, Somerset, TA13
chapter7 at tlio.demon.co.uk
Tel. 01460 249204

ECOVILLAGE GUIDE BOOKS - available (postage included) from
http://www.eco-logicbooks.com
Mulberry House, 19 Maple Grove, Bath, BA2 3AF - 01225 484472
UK > 'Diggers and Dreamers' - Annual directory of UK Communities - £6.00
EUROPE > 'Eurotopia' - Directory of Intentional Communities and Ecovillages
in Europe - £15.00
COTTARS AND SQUATTERS > Reccommended: UK land rights history - £10.00

PERMACULTURE MAGAZINE - http://www.permaculture.co.uk/
Quarterly colour mag. for enquiring minds and original thinkers everywhere.
Hyden House Ltd, The Sustainability Centre, East Meon, Hampshire GU32 1HR,
England.
info at permaculture.co.uk
Tel. 01730 823311

ECOVILLAGE NETWORK UK (that's us!) - http://www.evnuk.org.uk
Populating the rhetoric of rural sustainability
Volunteers: Russ Curgenven, Tony Gosling, Pam Norris, Joyce Kallevick.
PO Box 1410, Bristol, BS99 3JP
Tel. 0117 373 0346
evnuk at gaia.org

DIGGERS AND DREAMERS - Searchable community database
http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Diggers & Dreamers, a UK guide to communal living for more than 10 years
c/o Edge of Time Ltd, BCM Edge, London, WC1N 3XX, UK
info at diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Tel. 07000 780536

WWOOF - http://www.wwoof.org/wuk0.html
Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms
Join WWOOF, do some work, stay for free. Membership includes directory
PO Box 2675, Lewes, Sussex, BN7 1RB
fran at wwoof.org

PERMACULTURE ASSOCIATION UK - http://www.permaculture.org.uk
Supports individuals, projects and groups working with permaculture in Britain
Third Floor Studios, 6 Carr Mills, 322 Meanwood Road, Leeds, West
Yorkshire, LS7 2HY
office at permaculture.org.uk
Tel/Fax: 07041 390170 and 0113 262 1718

GROUNDSWELL - http://www.groundswell.org.uk
Promoting and developing self-help initiatives with the homeless

U.K. COHOUSING NETWORK - http://www.cohousing.co.uk/
Sharing expertise and experience amongst the U.K. cohousing groups.

FOREST SCHOOL CAMPS - http://www.fsc.org.uk/about.htm
Camps for kids to get back to nature with the minimum of authority.

EUROPEAN FUNDING - http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/funding/intro_en.htm

GLOBAL ECOVILLAGE NETWORK, EUROPEAN OFFICES - http://www.gen-europe.org/
Rosa-Luxemburgstr. 89, D-14806 Belzig, Germany - info at gen-europe.org - 0049
33841 44766
Ecovillage Office, Findhorn, The Park, Forres, Moray, Scotland IV36 0TZ -
ecovillage at findhorn.org - +44 (0)1309 690154
Minutes of meetings
http://www.gen-europe.org/archives/meetings/council/index.html
European email list - post <euevforum at lists.gen-europe.org> -