Comments on Jock Coats

TLIO Chapter7 chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Wed Aug 31 21:45:19 BST 2005

Georgists often  refer to capital as hard-earned ‹ but most of it is
inherited or comes as a return on investments, or is  funny money earned on
the stock market. Capital may well have been hard-earned by someone, but not
usually by the owner. Consequently,  I do not understand why high capital
investment returns or high incomes should not be taxed.

I agree with Georgists that profits from rent (ie profits derived fom
ownership rather than from working of land) should be returned to society;
but by the same token so should undue profits from ownership of stock (ie
profits which are out of proportion to the work performed).

Cheers
Simon

> [...]
>>> part of
>>> the big windfalls now being enjoyed by the private sector should be
>>> used to
>>> finance the public services that new housing developments will need.
>>>
>>> Land is already subject to capital gains tax. Ms Barker argued in her
>>> report
>>> that the forms of development gains tax that had been tried in the
>>> past had
>>> failed because they distorted behaviour and raised less money than
>>> expected.
>>> Large landowners and speculators managed to avoid the tax but smaller
>>> landowners were hit.
>>>
>>> She said the proposed tax would have to be accompanied by transitional
>>> measures to soften the blow for developers, with land sales contracts
>>> drawn
>>> up before it was introduced and for those holding large amounts of
>>> land for
>>> which planning permission has not yet been given.
>>>
>>> But the plan will be opposed by the Tories, who warn that it would
>>> provide an
>>> incentive for developers to build expensive executive homes in the
>>> green
>>> belt.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, the Tories accused Mr Prescott of breaking a pledge that a
>>> revaluation of business rates would not raise any extra revenue after
>>> figures
>>> showed companies were paying an extra £1.2bn a year in England.
>>>
>>> Caroline Spelman, the shadow Local Government Secretary, said: "
>>> Business
>>> rates, like council tax, are being used as a stealth tax.
>>>
>>> "Thanks to John Prescott's rigged rates revaluation, local firms are
>>> being
>>> taxed to the hilt, taking the average bill to £10,000 for the first
>>> time."
>>> She warned that householders would be hit when a revaluation of
>>> council tax
>>> took place.
>>>

>>> - --
>>>

>>> "We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government,
>>> nor are we for this party nor against the other but we are
>>> for justice and mercy and truth and peace and true freedom,
>>> that these may be exalted in our nation, and that goodness,
>>> righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity with
>>> God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
>>> (Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')
>>>
>>> Paul's new book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
>>> For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/book.html
>>>
>>> Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations
>>> 3 Grosvenor Road, Banbury OX16 5HN, England
>>> tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864
>>> email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
>>> website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html
>>>

>>> Diggers350 - an e-mail discussion/information-share list for
>>> campaigners
>>> involved with THE LAND IS OURS landrights network (based in the UK
>>> the
>>> 350th anniversary of The Diggers (& still is concerned with their
>>> history). The Diggers appeared at the end of the English Civil war
>>> with a
>>> mission to make the earth 'a common treasury for all'. In the spring
>>> of
>>> 1999 there were celebrations to remember the Diggers vision and their
>>> contribution. Find out more about the Diggers and see illustrations
>>> at: