Tony Wrench, Caroline Berry and Jack Everett's eco-homes

Ecovillage Network UK evnuk at gaia.org
Thu Jan 20 20:00:11 GMT 2005

Three post-Christmas low impact planning decisions here
Tony G

From: "Tony Wrench" <tonywrench at lineone.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:24:04 -0000
Subject: Emma's huts - Brithdir Mawr

Got the appeal decision today:

OK 4 year immunity on oldest hut,
No to retreat hut in woods - still gotta come down in under 6 months
No to  2 other huts, but increase in enforcement time to 18 months.

Hey ho.
Good news about Carloine Barry.
Hasta luego,
Tone

p.s. For reasonably up to date news from me please check out
www.thatroundhouse.info <http://www.thatroundhouse.info>   . Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Straw house saved from demolition
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4171747.stm

A government planning inspector has ruled that a house in Somerset made
from straw should not be demolished.

Environmentalist Caroline Barry constructed her home made almost entirely
of straw bales and logs coated with lime putty to keep the rain out.

The building in Butleigh has no mains electricity and no mod cons.

Mendip District Council said the house should be removed because it broke
planning rules, but a government inspector has reversed the decision.

The council said the property - built on a concrete foundation - was a
permanent fixture which required planning permission.

Ms Barry ripped up the concrete base and put the house back together on a
foundation made from tyres.

The council said it was "very disappointed" by the move and is considering
a legal challenge to the ruling.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First published on Wednesday 12 January 2005:
http://www2.newsquest.co.uk/stroud/archive/2005/01/12/news1105525042ZM.html

Eco-house doom looms

by Will Saunders

ECO homeowner Jack Everett's 20-year battle against council bureaucracy
could soon be at an end as councillors pursue an action to bulldoze his
Sheepscombe home.

The sculptor built the house at Shutway Quarry but could soon see it
demolished as Ebley Mill officers claim it has no valid planning permission.

Mr Everett, who lives in the picturesque spot with his three sons, has
unsuccessfully taken the case to the High Court after claiming the council
breached his human rights.

But yesterday building control councillors vowed to decide on the fate of
the buildings after speaking to legal experts in February.

After the debate a defiant Mr Everett said he could not accept a council
house because of his eco-friendly lifestyle.

"It does not fit in with my belief system and my lifestyle," he said. "That
is where human rights are relevant.

"They are obliged to give me comparative housing. Have they got three
quarters of an acre of land, woodland and a sustainable house? I do not
think they have."

During the council debate some councillors appeared to be sympathetic to Mr
Everett's situation.

Cllr Dennis Andrewartha (Lib Dem, Cam West) said: "Because this gentleman
chooses to live in a different way to the rest of us, are we not running
roughshod over his human rights?"

--
EcoVillage Network UK PeopleFinder - http://www.peoplefinder.org.uk
A new contact point for getting involved in the UK EcoVillage movement.

CHAPTER 7 - http://www.tlio.org.uk/chapter7/
The UK's Rural Sustainable Settlement Planning Campaign
'Chapter 7 News' - 16-20pp. quarterly - £2.00 ea. £7.00 per annum sub. from
The Potato Store, Flaxdrayton Farm, South Petherton, Somerset, TA13
chapter7 at tlio.demon.co.uk
Tel. 01460 249204

ECOVILLAGE GUIDE BOOKS - available (postage included) from
http://www.eco-logicbooks.com
Mulberry House, 19 Maple Grove, Bath, BA2 3AF - 01225 484472
UK > 'Diggers and Dreamers' - Annual directory of UK Communities - £6.00
EUROPE > 'Eurotopia' - Directory of Intentional Communities and Ecovillages
in Europe - £15.00
COTTARS AND SQUATTERS > Reccommended: UK land rights history - £10.00

PERMACULTURE MAGAZINE - http://www.permaculture.co.uk/
Quarterly colour mag. for enquiring minds and original thinkers everywhere.
Hyden House Ltd, The Sustainability Centre, East Meon, Hampshire GU32 1HR,
England.
info at permaculture.co.uk
Tel. 01730 823311

ECOVILLAGE NETWORK UK (that's us!) - http://www.evnuk.org.uk
Populating the rhetoric of rural sustainability
Volunteers: Russ Curgenven, Nikki Ali, Tony Gosling, Pam Norris, Joyce
Kallevick.
PO Box 1410, Bristol, BS99 3JP
Tel. 0117 373 0346
evnuk at gaia.org, office at evnuk.org.uk

DIGGERS AND DREAMERS - Searchable community database
http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Diggers & Dreamers, a UK guide to communal living for more than 10 years
c/o Edge of Time Ltd, BCM Edge, London, WC1N 3XX, UK
info at diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Tel. 07000 780536

WWOOF - http://www.wwoof.org/wuk0.html
Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms
Join WWOOF, do some work, stay for free. Membership includes directory
PO Box 2675, Lewes, Sussex, BN7 1RB
fran at wwoof.org

PERMACULTURE ASSOCIATION UK - http://www.permaculture.org.uk
Supports individuals, projects and groups working with permaculture in Britain
Third Floor Studios, 6 Carr Mills, 322 Meanwood Road, Leeds, West
Yorkshire, LS7 2HY
office at permaculture.org.uk
Tel/Fax: 07041 390170 and 0113 262 1718

GROUNDSWELL - http://www.groundswell.org.uk
Promoting and developing self-help initiatives with the homeless

U.K. COHOUSING NETWORK - http://www.cohousing.co.uk/
Sharing expertise and experience amongst the U.K. cohousing groups.

FOREST SCHOOL CAMPS - http://www.fsc.org.uk/about.htm
Camps for kids to get back to nature with the minimum of authority.

EUROPEAN FUNDING - http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/funding/intro_en.htm

GLOBAL ECOVILLAGE NETWORK, EUROPEAN OFFICES - http://www.gen-europe.org/
Rosa-Luxemburgstr. 89, D-14806 Belzig, Germany - info at gen-europe.org - 0049
33841 44766
Ecovillage Office, Findhorn, The Park, Forres, Moray, Scotland IV36 0TZ -
ecovillage at findhorn.org - +44 (0)1309 690154
Minutes of meetings
http://www.gen-europe.org/archives/meetings/council/index.html
European email list - post <euevforum at lists.gen-europe.org> -