More Comments on Jock Coats

TLIO Chapter7 chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Fri Sep 2 23:25:24 BST 2005

Jock

All tax is an imposition ( in French tax is an impot), but profit, over and
above what is a fair return on labour, is an imposition on society as well.
It diverts surplus value from those who have earned it through their labour,
to those who have done nothing more constructive than sign bits of paper
signifying that they own a share. Moreover it diverts the power to make
decisions to these shareholders who do not have the interests of society as
a whole at heart, or any direct knowledge of the workplace and its
environment, but are driven solely by the need to make a profit.

Your Churchill quote illustrates what makes many of us uneasy about
Georgism: Drawing profit from capital investment, he says, is a " natural
and healthy process, by which the economic plant of the world is nourished
and from year to year successfully and notably increased".
You could just about get away with saying this in 1905 but in 2005 it is
simply not on unless you are a neocon. The economic plant of the world has
turned into a triffid ‹ the drive to increase GDP is destroying global and
local commons and engulfing natural resources, and it is driven largely by
profit, much less by rent.

What a lot of us fear is that a land tax based on the potential rent of a
piece of land would drive landowners to extract the maximum economic returns
from that land, when this is often not  the ecologically or socially wise
policy. For example trees, which have a low economic value (largely because
of the discount rate) but a high environmental and social value,  would be
felled at an alarming rate if land tax were imposed in an otherwise
free-market situation.

In a non-free- market situation (eg where you might not be allowed to fell
trees or build a house) you have land use planning; in this context a tax
based on the potential value of the land (ie on getting planning permission)
becomes a development tax, which is a very different fishfrom a land tax,
not least because it discourages development (i'm not going to apply for
permission because they'll tax me) whereas a land tax encourages it (I've
got to develop this land to pay off the tax).  I prefer a development tax
because, on the whole, development stinks. But then again some developments
are good and these would be handicapped by a development tax.

I am in favour of taxing unearned rent but I do not see why everything else
would fall into place if this were done, and I am consistently put off by
the way you Georgists ride this hobby horse and shun all others. Life just
isn't that simple. I note the search in the letters column of Land and
Liberty for a new name, and view this as an unconscious recognition that
taxing land is not a catch-all solution. If you Georgists want to move on, I
would suggest advocating "resource taxes". That has a much better chance of
confronting environmental problems, and gaining allies, though it still
doesn't address social justice issues.

Cheers

Simon