Brassknocker squatters refuse to move

Ecovillage Network UK office at evnuk.org.uk
Wed Apr 5 15:37:26 BST 2006

PUB'S SQUATTERS REFUSE TO MOVE

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=163490&command=displayContent&sourceNode=163316&contentPK=14288023&folderPk=89126

Squatters have moved into a derelict pub on the edge of Bath. The group of
11 squatters have been living at the Viaduct Inn at the bottom of
Brassknocker Hill at Monkton Combe for about three weeks.

But the group is now facing a court battle after they have been told to get
out. The pub is owned by an investment company which wants to covert it
into flats.

The landmark inn closed its doors for the last time last summer after its
landlord, Phil Reid, sold it to London- based property developer Amek
Investments.

Time was called at the pub at the end of June and the building was boarded
up a few weeks later.

The group of squatters - who say they have been summoned to court tomorrow
to face eviction - insist they are doing nothing wrong.

One of them, who gave his name as Chris, and appeared well versed on the
rights of squatters, said: "We are using a building which is empty."

The 26-year-old, from Kent, added: "There are probably about 11 people who
are permanent residents and our friends. There are no children here.

"We are hoping the court will decide we can stay here at least maybe a month.

"We are not actually annoying anyone by being here. We do create a lot of
noise but fortunately all the windows are boarded up, which keeps the sound
contained.

"We need somewhere to live."

Chris defended their occupation as a legal squat because he and his friends
have been there for more than 36 hours.

Chris, who said he had a music degree, said the former pub was an ideal
place for the group to be creative.

"We are constantly looking for empty buildings we can use for music and
art," he said.

"There are a lot of creative people in this building. We make speakers, too."

Chris insisted he had spent about three days cleaning up.

"We have got electricity. It was on already when we got here. We made a
note of the meter reading and we intend to pay for the electricity," he said.

Chris, who has been squatting for ten years, said that if they had to move
out of the building, they would do so peacefully.

"We have found a few new places," he said. "The reason why we are in the
countryside here is because we do not want to be in the city with all the
people that go round robbing people and ripping people off."

The group said they would be happy to use the building until the middle of
the summer, when they plan to travel to Europe to enjoy music festivals.

Another squatter, Joe, 22, said the building was "perfect".

"We are not keeping anyone up at night," he said.

"We are just poor and we need somewhere to be. We are peaceful people.

"We are all from different backgrounds and different life experiences.

"I will be so sad to leave."

Jade, who said she was 20 and from Bath, said the group had spent money
trying to sort out the plumbing after a previous group of squatters had
used the building.

She said she had been squatting "on and off" for more than two years, and
had learned to play the guitar while living in the pub.

"I enjoy this lifestyle," she added.

Amek Investments, which was unavailable for comment, has submitted an
application to Bath and North East Somerset Council to convert the pub into
nine flats with parking spaces.

A decision has yet to be made on the application.

A spokesman for Avon and Somerset police said the force had been notified
that there were people in the premises.

The police will become involved if the squatters are told to get out and
fail to do so.

see also
www.monktoncombe.com/poap/names/page16.htm

Portrait of a Parish - Page 16
Viaduct Inn

This inn is at the bottom of Brassknocker Hill and spans the corner of the
junction of the hill with the A36 Bath to Warminster Road. Its garden
overlooks the road and the "Clank" - the name given to the lane which was
once the old railway line and now leads to Monkton Combe Mill, Monkton
Combe School and the Village.
Now mainly used for Bed and Breakfast accommodation with passing trade
(tourists and business people) popping in for some refreshments.

* The old brewery has now been converted into a house.
** October 2005. The Viaduct Inn has now closed its doors. A planning
application has been submitted to turn the Inn into residential units.

--
EcoVillage Network UK PeopleFinder - http://www.peoplefinder.org.uk
A new contact point for getting involved in the UK EcoVillage movement.

CHAPTER 7 - http://www.tlio.org.uk/chapter7/
The UK's Rural Sustainable Settlement Planning Campaign
'Chapter 7 News' - 16-20pp. quarterly - £2.00 ea. £7.00 per annum sub. from
The Potato Store, Flaxdrayton Farm, South Petherton, Somerset, TA13
chapter7 at tlio.demon.co.uk
Tel. 01460 249204

ECOVILLAGE GUIDE BOOKS - available (postage included) from
http://www.eco-logicbooks.com
Mulberry House, 19 Maple Grove, Bath, BA2 3AF - 01225 484472
UK > 'Diggers and Dreamers' - Annual directory of UK Communities - £6.00
EUROPE > 'Eurotopia' - Directory of Intentional Communities and Ecovillages
in Europe - £15.00
COTTARS AND SQUATTERS > Reccommended: UK land rights history - £10.00

PERMACULTURE MAGAZINE - http://www.permaculture.co.uk/
Quarterly colour mag. for enquiring minds and original thinkers everywhere.
Hyden House Ltd, The Sustainability Centre, East Meon, Hampshire GU32 1HR,
England.
info at permaculture.co.uk
Tel. 01730 823311

ECOVILLAGE NETWORK UK (that's us!) - http://www.evnuk.org.uk
Populating the rhetoric of rural sustainability
Volunteers: Russ Curgenven, Nikki Ali, Tony Gosling, Pam Norris, Joyce
Kallevick.
PO Box 1410, Bristol, BS99 3JP
Tel. 0117 373 0346
evnuk at gaia.org, office at evnuk.org.uk

DIGGERS AND DREAMERS - Searchable community database
http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Diggers & Dreamers, a UK guide to communal living for more than 10 years
c/o Edge of Time Ltd, BCM Edge, London, WC1N 3XX, UK
info at diggersanddreamers.org.uk
Tel. 07000 780536

WWOOF - http://www.wwoof.org/wuk0.html
Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms
Join WWOOF, do some work, stay for free. Membership includes directory
PO Box 2675, Lewes, Sussex, BN7 1RB
fran at wwoof.org

PERMACULTURE ASSOCIATION UK - http://www.permaculture.org.uk
Supports individuals, projects and groups working with permaculture in Britain
Third Floor Studios, 6 Carr Mills, 322 Meanwood Road, Leeds, West
Yorkshire, LS7 2HY
office at permaculture.org.uk
Tel/Fax: 07041 390170 and 0113 262 1718

GROUNDSWELL - http://www.groundswell.org.uk
Promoting and developing self-help initiatives with the homeless

U.K. COHOUSING NETWORK - http://www.cohousing.co.uk/
Sharing expertise and experience amongst the U.K. cohousing groups.

FOREST SCHOOL CAMPS - http://www.fsc.org.uk/about.htm
Camps for kids to get back to nature with the minimum of authority.

EUROPEAN FUNDING - http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/funding/intro_en.htm

INTL. INTENTIONAL COMMUNITIES DIRECTORY http://directory.ic.org/

GLOBAL ECOVILLAGE NETWORK, EUROPEAN OFFICES - http://www.gen-europe.org/
Rosa-Luxemburgstr. 89, D-14806 Belzig, Germany - info at gen-europe.org - 0049
33841 44766
Ecovillage Office, Findhorn, The Park, Forres, Moray, Scotland IV36 0TZ -
ecovillage at findhorn.org - +44 (0)1309 690154
Minutes of meetings
http://www.gen-europe.org/archives/meetings/council/index.html
European email list - post <euevforum at lists.gen-europe.org> -