Adam Smith institute 1 - CPRE 0

Mark mark at tlio.org.uk
Thu May 25 18:09:57 BST 2006

My response to Simon:

I wouldn't usually go out of my way to support the views of a right-wing
think-tank who before know were the main policy agenda-setters for the
Thatherite years.

I was being cavalier - the problem is to do with what is being
productively grown on land as much as it is about the chemical saturation
and slow-destruction of soil ecology - and so, therefore, why on earth
shouldn't some land be given over to housing attached to natural
regeneration that could be a source of fuel. I believe that agriculture
should exist alongside low-impact housing development, within a strict
planning regime, perhaps with the condition that the planning-use of the
land cannot be changed from remaining as low-impact
development/sub-agricultural - as should apply with all county farms so
that the local authority isn't tempted to make a fast buck when times are
tough!

The urban mass demand of resources and energy combined with the onset of
the running out of fossil fuel is a further reason for a step change
towards a move of some numbers of the urban population back to the
countryside (I've been talking about this is terms of a new bill of Rights
which incorporates landrights - working title - "The Grand Settlement").
There is still a hell of a lot of land to live on provided it is done
sustainably and with less energy requirement (but to administer would be a
politically contentious issue, some form of bureaucratic control order
properly regulated and monitored, hopefully combined with an element of
self-managed autonomy informed by a networking dynamic between different
localities and cultures/class interests). Come the financial crash, land
is all people will have that holds any real value.

I don't see anyway around this issue in the long term unless there is a
combination of solutions which include this - and we'dd only be talking
about grade 3 or 4  agricultural land - which would thereafter have dual
agriculturaal/housing use. I am a hopeless idealist, I know. However, on
Farming Today Wednesday morning last week, a woman from Devon & Cornwall
Housing Trust was talking about a new planning use class on this same very
issue. (Simon of course originally coined this term in his book "Low
Impact
Development").

Mark