Govt. Housing plan under fire / Spirit of Albion

Gerrard Winstanley office at evnuk.org.uk
Wed Aug 29 15:24:39 BST 2007

Google News aggregator on today's housing story
http://news.google.com/news?ncl=1120057156&scoring=n

SPIRIT OF ALBION
Apologies but the link on this list a couple of weeks ago to the
brilliant and virtually disappeared documentary 'The Spirit Of Albion'
about the travellers' Peace Convoy in the 1980s only allowed a small
number of downloads before flaking out. But if you want you can get it
(plus some other peace convoy films) by post in roughly VHS quality in
either of the following ways:
1. a DVD - cost is £5.00 (cash, cheque, PO payable to Tony Gosling)
2. a video file for computer on CD, send £1 (payment as above)
Please send an A5 size SAE with ordinary 1st or 2nd class stamp to
Tony Gosling, 10-12 Picton Street, Montpelier, BRISTOL BS6 5QA.
Any queries call 07786 952037

Housing plan comes under fire
http://www.epolitix.com/EN/News/200708/70c7d193-9bd9-4140-af4b-
c3b4a870e4c2.htm

Council leaders in South East England have said the government's
housing plans are "in tatters" following a judgment by planning
inspectors.
And the Conservatives accused the government of promoting
"unsustainable urban sprawl" through its bid to boost house-building.
An independent panel appointed by the government has reported on the
development strategy for the South East.
It recommended an increase in the overall levels of housing to 32,000
a year, with a total of 640,160 over the period between 2006 and 2026.
That figure was more than the 28,900 a year being proposed by the
regional assembly, but falls short of the 38,000 a year needed to meet
the government's national targets,
The inspectors said they could not accept that "the national objective
of providing housing opportunities for 'everyone' is feasible".
They warned that "it is not simply a case of building our way out of
the affordability crisis".
"We cannot say whether there would be any discernible benefit at the
regional level on affordability from our recommended increase in
housing levels," they added.
Responding to the news, shadow planning minister Jacqui Lait said:
"Gordon Brown's empty promise that he would protect the green belt has
been exposed to be worthless.
"His own government officials are planning to let rip with the
concrete mixer and add to unsustainable urban sprawl.
"Labour's policies are only going to deliver sprawling housing
estates, without proper infrastructure, much of it on flood plains.
"Local residents will be powerless to stop the unelected bureaucrats
building the sink estates of the 21st century."
And Henry Smith, chairman of the South East County Leaders, said that
plans "are in tatters after the government's own planning inspectors
rejected them".
"This is a victory for the South East, as inspectors endorse our
considered response to housing pressures and throw out the
government's impetuous and ill-thought-out intervention," he added.
"If the prime minister really wants to help families get onto the
property ladder, he will have to follow the advice of his own planning
inspectors and work with the South East County Leaders to help us
safeguard our unique environment and provide timely and adequate
investment to make the new homes places that families will really want
to live."
A spokesman for Department for Communities and Local Government said
the report was "about the regional assembly's own plan for the South
East not the government's national target for new homes".
"The independent report only takes into account policy up to the end
of March 2007, this predates our policy development in the housing
green paper including eco-towns, and we understand that the report
makes this crystal clear."

more