More on Planning Gain

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Mon Feb 19 00:09:46 GMT 2007

Further to my previous  e-mail about Planning Gain Supplement

The relevant document which explains how all this is to be enforced
is not a DCLG consultation, but an HM Customs and Revenue
consultation document found at

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/consultations/paying-pgs.pdf

The most relevant pages are:

Stop Notices: p, 30

No exemptions for socially beneficial residential developments p 33.

(Warning: the document is a 37 page PDF of which about 10 pages are
completely blank, so if you want to save paper don't "PRINT ALL")

The whole package is difficult to locate and understand, and most of
it relates to large developers' contributions:  but our "sympathetic
local authority planner is right: as things are currently phrased,
the legislation will place a development tax on small scale or
community developments which manage to get hold of a scrap of land at
non-development prices and use the increased value from residential
use of the  site to subsidize affordability, sustainability or other
social benefits.

The people who are drafting this legislation (which is,  designed
with the best of intentions to make developers pay back some of their
profits to society) are not aware that there are some developments
whose viabilty is based on the fact that planning gain is channeled
into  providing social benefits. `It is really important that we get
them to insert a clauseg allowing this to happen.

I don't imagine that many people will have time to trawl through all
this arcane stuff, so I will be posting Chapter 7's response, and
would be grateful for submissions to DCLG and HM Customs and Excise
supporting our response. Nobody else will have cottoned onto this, so
ten minutes of your time to send a supporting e-mail  will be time
well spent.

Many thanks

Simon

Simon Fairlie