John Muellbauer's paper not enough

james armstrong james36armstrong at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 31 22:32:19 BST 2007

John Muellbauer's paper.

'the rise in house prices is explained by demand increasing  in the face of
stagnant housing supply'
'much rests therefore on the reforms of  planning proposed in the latest
Barker Review'
'a land buying agency  could gradually buy up tracts of  less distinguished
farm land'   …..
'for development of new towns and villages'
'planning permission raises the price of farmland one hundred times or more'
profits- from sale of some land to developers could fund social housing ..'
'the basic point is that the land price differential between farm and
housing land ….
and the huge capital gains of landowners  who receive planning permission,
are policy constructs'
'So is the housing affordability problem. '
'all that is needed is a government with vision.'

I suggest that there are some omissions from this scenario.
House prices of  both the existing stock and new build are now so high that
solutions  must address not only future policy  but  the existing level ,
since  current  prices are unsustainable.
In the 1920's a two-bedroomed cottage in Oakwood Road,  Hampstead Garden
Suburb was built and  sold for £250.  This represented about   one and a
half year's income of someone earning (then) £3 per week.
To day the same cottage might  have a value  27 times the annual  minimum
wage of £12,000 p.a..  The scale of the  problem suggests causes more deep
rooted than 'planning  constraints.'

A closer reading of the Barker Review of Housing Supply suggests WHY supply
is stagnant.
Corporate house builders monopolise building land with permission or
potential  permission for houses  (The largest housebuilder, Persimmon,  in
2004  held sixteen years' supply, and Barker Reports that housebuilders make
  more profit from land speculation than they do from building houses.
The paper  exposes the drivers of demand (economic growth and  population
growth and immigration ) but fails to expose the drivers of the stagnant
supply -  the landowners who the paper identifies as making windfall gains
include the housebuilders, city institutions, banks….
The withdrawal of local and central government from  building houses leaves
to this deformed market the responsibilty for supply - yet it is in the
supplier's' interest to drive up the price of houses, and with it the value
of their landbanks and also ensure even rosier prospects for the future, and
this they do by buying up all the potential building land around population
centres.   The Planning Departments helpfully identify this land in their
five and fifteen year  plans.

Here the limitations of relying on the market are exposed. It is unlawful in
UK and under EU law to manipulate a market against the  public interest .
The refusal of the Competition Commission to prosecute monopolist,
landhoarding builders ( I have persistently asked the C.C.  to act on this
front) does not suggest, as the paper does    ' The government has a concern
for poverty and social exclusion'
On the contrary, it suggests that the government has an interest in
prolonging out-of- reach-house prices, which stimulates GDP , gives a 'feel
good, factor to existing house owners, stimulates High Street spending by
increasing the equity on which the credit boom is based, and it allows the
MPC of the Bank of England to tweak the  economy using  the Bank Rate and to
misuse use the  housing 'market' - Barker uses this expression again and
again- tangentially  to encourage 'growth' in the economy without general
inflation..
'Unfortunately you can't have growth  in the economy  unless you have rising
houe prices'
                               …………Mervyn King,  ex Governor,  Bank of
England recently on BBC Radio 4.
House price inflation is of course wildly out of control  but the MPC and
the Treasury choose  not to acknowledge this, rather eliding a problem into
a triumph by  defining it as 'a strong housing market'.

The paper looks to the prospect of building both more private and more
social housing. Yet more private housing at out-of-reach prices will not
solve the problem. Neither is more 'Social housing' the answer.    Only a
tiny fraction of people in stress of housing qualify for so-called
'affordable housing'. Most have too large incomes to qualify  (yet cannot
afford to buy on the private market.) Others have too low incomes to afford
the rents and repayments under the different 'part buy' arrangements.

Here is another instance which suggests housing has a very low priority for
the Government.  The social Housing Grant has recently risen from
£0.8billion to £1.4 billion . - about the same sum as the provision for
'Special Downing Street Advisers' .   Stamp Duty from the sale of property
brings in to the Treasury £5.5billion  …..  To-day's press reports Alliance
Boots is valued at £10billion.    The social housing provision is quite
inadequate

There are solutions to the crisis.   'Social housing' could make a
significant contribution, if the  present ratio  perhaps 1:9  private to
social is  reversed.    The power of the opposition to be expected from the
land  lobby (which is entrenched at the very highest level,  including the
monarchy, in parliament , amongst farmer/landowners, the building
corporations , the financial houses etc  can be judged from the last effort
to tax land in 1909 when the Government's Finance Bill was lost and a
constitutional crisis developed
The failure , after decades , of the Land Registry to date to identify and
publish details of land ownership is also relevant.  The land buying agency
would need constitutional representation if it is to withstand the expected
corporate opposition.

The paper  identifies the main factor in the crisis as the windfall gains
landowners receive when land gets permission for houses. Requiring  the name
of the would be occupier on the permission for a new house would empower the
demand side vis a vis the landowner or builder and reduce the value of land
to the landowner. Prioritising  self build, increasing the Social Housing
Grant, reversing the ratio of private to social, would all help.

'Trident' has a £20billion plus budget (c.f. Social Housing at £1.4bn, p.a.)
The rationale for Trident is to defend or deter against (hypothetical)
nuclear attack on the U.K. which could only make sense if targeted at large
population centres.   It is around these areas  that  national builders
monopolise landownership . Dispersing the population into new villages   is
logical if we must have Trident.  Discouraging mono-design estates and
replicating local building styles and materials  would enhance not destroy
the beauty of the  landscape.  Such  a policy also  uses  the 'less
distinguished farmland' of the  paper to solve the very real  and current
housing crisis.

'the problem  is a policy construct'
What is needed is a government prepared to address the problems of those in
housing stress and not the profits of the  landowners/builders/mortgage
lenders and a government prepared to  rerun the battle of 1909.
                  James Armstrong
                          1140

The writer contributed to the Barker Report and long ago was a student of
economics at Edinburgh Uni.