Noise complaint rights 'face axe'... more

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Thu Aug 14 21:17:25 BST 2008

Environmental Protection UK's briefing on Section 151 is at
http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/assets/library/documents/Planning_Bill_Briefing_Clause_151_Nuisance_Immunity.pdf

P.

http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/news/detail/?id=1505

Planning for Local Problems? Nuisance Immunity Proposed for Major Utilities

Environmental Protection UK, 12th Aug. 2008

Environmental Protection UK1 is expressing concern at the removal of
protection for local communities from impacts of major infrastructure
development in the Planning Bill2.

Clause 151 states:
'No proceedings, whether criminal or civil, in nuisance and no civil
proceedings in respect of the escape of things from land other than
proceedings for breach of statutory duty may be brought in relation to
development, works or operations authorised by an order granting development
consent.'

This amendment, added following the third reading of the Bill, would appear to
remove access to any remedy for local health or environmental impacts caused
by dust, smoke, odour, noise or light.

"This apparent blanket exemption is highly irresponsible, particularly in view
of the wide range of developments covered by the Bill3, " said Mary Stevens,
Policy Officer at Environmental Protection UK.

"It shows scant regard for the potential impact on the health, quality of life
and amenity of any communities who are unfortunate enough to be in proximity
to the developments proposed."

We accept that some short-term impact is an inevitable consequence of any
development, but local impacts are manageable by proper planning and
operation. We do not believe that respect for the quality of life of
neighbouring citizens should present a barrier to necessary and appropriate
development.

We, along with LACORS4, are urging Government to reconsider the inclusion of
this Clause, and ensure that the Planning Bill includes robust provision for
protection of the health, amenity and local environmental quality for
communities at risk of adverse impact.

More: Mary Stevens 01273 878781 / 07730 061850

Notes to Editors:

   1. http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/
Environmental Protection UK (formerly NSCA) is the environmental protection
charity supported by pollution control professionals. We have been working
for a cleaner, quieter, healthier world since 1898.

   2. http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2007-08/planning.html
Planning Bill

   3.
http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/assets/library/documents/Planning_Bill_Briefing_Clause_151_Nuisance_Immunity.pdf
Read the Environmental Protection UK Briefing on Planning Bill proposal for
nuisance exemption

   4. http://www.lacors.gov.uk/lacors/home.aspx
LACORS is the local government central body that represents and supports
council public protection services.

- --

(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html