Climate Camp - protest squat location revealed

Gerrard Winstanley office at evnuk.org.uk
Thu Jul 31 19:21:25 BST 2008

Climate camp site revealed: please help set up the camp

Activists take site for the Camp for Climate Action and reveal location
http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/home?q=node/374

100 people entered and secured an uncultivated field at Deansgate
Ridge at 3.00pm today, only 1 km from Kingsnorth Power Station. They
erected and climbed tripods to prevent police from moving them and
have erected a marquee alongside a banner which reads `No New Coal'.
full workshop programme

Although the climate camp activists have been upfront and open about
most aspects of their plans, the location of the camp had not been
revealed until today in order to prevent E.ON and the police from
attempting to stop it from happening. The uncultivated field is on a
road that runs
between Hoo St Werburgh and High Halstow. The Camp for Climate Action
intends to return the field in two weeks in as good, if not better,
condition than it was found.

Around 20 sheep were in the field when it was occupied. They have been
rounded up and are being taken care of with food and water.

The camp, which is due to officially start on Sunday, 3 August, is
expected to attract thousands of people coming from all over the UK.
The week long camp hosts hundreds of workshops on sustainable living
and the politics of climate change. The camp will culminate on
Saturday 9 August
in a mass direct action to shut down Kingsnorth power station on
protest over E.ON's plans to build the first new coal-fired power
station in the UK for 33 years.

"We want to warmly invite people from the local community to come down
and see for themselves what the camp is all about," said Terry Graves,
who has already pitched his tent up in the field.

"E.ON and the government believe that you can have endless
fossil-fuelled economic growth in a world of finite resources," said
Christina Greensford, who helped to secure the camp. "People from all
over the UK are here to create a democratic, low-carbon society in
which our long term
future on this planet is prioritised over the short term profit
margins of the fossil fuel industry."

"We have a future to protect, and today, in setting up the climate
camp, we've drawn a line in the sand at Kingsnorth." said Hannah
Abbots. "We will not allow companies like E.ON drag us over the edge
of climate
catastrophe."

Press can contact Conor O'Brian at 07530 306267 who is on site and
arrange interviews, either over the phone or on the perimeter of the site.

Press can also contact the media team, who are not currently on site,
at 07772 861 099

A press advisory will be shortly issued giving information as to when
the first media tours of the camp will take place.