Local Food Networks - Food Programme, BBC Radio-4

Mark mark at tlio.org.uk
Sun Jun 8 13:12:49 BST 2008

Sheila Dillon discusses local food networks.

The Food Programme, BBC Radio-4
broadcast on Sunday 12:30-13:00,
Repeat - Monday 16:00-16:30
Also available as a podcast on the Radio-4 website for the next 7 days, at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foodprogramme.shtml

As food prices rise and crude oil futures teeter on the edge of the
unthinkable
this week’s Food Programme considers the merits of producing
food right where you live. Sheila Dillon visits two communities: a rich
suburb near Boston, Massachusetts, that she first visited 18 years ago -
and a Hampshire village, Martin, - both joined by a common aim –to grow
what they eat.

Nick Snelgar talks about Future Farms, a non-profit-making co-operative
set up in early 2004. Its purpose is to grow and sell food within the
parish of Martin in Hampshire, a village with a population of 405.

Sheila revisits Lincoln, Massachusetts, a wealthy suburb that boasts
several farms due to the land protection policies that have prevailed
since the 1950s. One farm is run by the Boston-based charity, The Food
Project.

Sheila Dillon is joined in the studio by Kath Dalmeny, Policy Director,
Sustain.

ALSO, IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE IS MIND TO NOMINATE FOR THE BBC FOOD & FARMING
AWARDS, THEN PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DO SO:
Nominations for:

BEST FOOD MARKET:
Awarded to the market making fresh, locally-grown food accessible to its
community. As well as farmers' markets we're interested in regular, local
food markets with a wide range of high quality produce - particularly in
areas ill-served by other food retailers.

BEST LOCAL FOOD RETAILER:
It could be your favourite corner shop, high street butcher, baker or
local deli. Tell us about the retailer near you making a difference to the
community - and to the producers who supply it.

BEST FOOD PRODUCER:
Open to anyone who produces food - from milk or meat to cakes or
chocolates . We're looking for companies or individuals who use good
quality ingredients, to provide an excellent finished product.

FARMER OF THE YEAR:
The Farming Today award for someone who has risen to the challenges of
farming in the 21st century and is an inspiration to anyone interested in
food production and the countryside.

BEST ' DINNER LADY/MAN':
Whether it's in a school, a hospital, a care home, or the workplace - this
is awarded to a cook who provides a wide range of, healthy, tasty food in
any institutional setting. We're looking for meals prepared on the
premises with fresh, carefully sourced ingredients.

BEST TAKE-AWAY:
It could be Indian, Italian, Chinese or good old fish and chips. We want
to hear about excellent ready made meals that are fresh, made from
carefully sourced ingredients and provide value for money.

THE DEREK COOPER AWARD:
For the individual or organisation that has done most to increase our
knowledge and understanding of good food and the vital role it plays in
our lives. 2007's winner was Compassion in World Farming.

BEST RETAIL INITIATIVE:
We're interested in an imaginative initiative that's changing the way good
quality food is being sourced and sold. It could be a supermarket,
wholesaler, website, or chain of food shops - that's transforming your
access to great produce with an original idea.

BBC FOOD PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR:
It could be a writer, broadcaster,  chef; a role model who inspires a
passion for good food and communicates the importance of great produce
with enthusiasm and clarity. Previous winners include Rick Stein, Jamie
Oliver, Gordon Ramsay and James Martin.

How to nominate:

We need your name, address and phone number (and email if possible).
Please tell us as much as you can about your nominee - their name, address
and contact details, but most importantly (in no more than 250 words) why
they best demonstrate that category's criteria. Remember, the more you
tell us about why they are so special, the more you'll help our judges.

Nominate by:

Email: foodawards at bbc.co.uk

Post:

BBC Food and Farming Awards,