Take Back the Land

Massimo A. Allamandola suburbanstudio at runbox.com
Wed Jun 11 02:45:16 BST 2008

Guess... after the George Soros message big words but poor facts
(money talk after all) this come as a refreshing local, grassroot and
important initiative !!! we need to learn from people, not from
speculators !

---

Take Back the Land. Liberty City residents and supporters, led by the
Center for Pan-African Development, squat on public land, to build
housing for our own community. No government permission or money. We are
liberating the land for our people.

http://takebacktheland.blogspot.com/

Squatters or Pioneers?

HousingMamyrah Prosper steps gingerly over ankle-high grass strewn with
plastic bags and empty soda bottles in the yard of a vacant redbrick
house in Miami's Liberty City. She peers through a gap in a boarded-up
window. "It looks in good shape," she says. "I mean, the walls aren't
falling down. This is definitely one of our stronger options."

Prosper means that if the place checks out, she and her colleagues from
Take Back the Land, a local group that advocates for affordable housing,
will break in, change the locks, paint and clean, innovate a way to
connect water and electricity, and then move a homeless family into the
house. The criminal laws they'll violate in the process range from
trespassing to breaking and entering (even burglary, if the police get
ambitious), which requires the organization to keep a pro bono lawyer on
standby.

"We call it 'liberating the housing,'" says Take Back the Land's
cofounder Max Rameau, a compact Haitian American who's earned a
reputation in Miami for creative activism. In 2006, Take Back received
widespread attention when it took over a vacant city lot and erected a
shantytown for the homeless that thrived for six months—that is, until a
resident's candle burned down the encampment. Rameau's latest, and even
more legally dubious, campaign targets homes shuttered by foreclosure.

In Greater Miami, there's no shortage of those. Last year, Miami-Dade
County recorded 26,391 foreclosures, a nearly threefold increase from
2006, and the pace has only quickened since then. Meanwhile, public
housing is in crisis; at least four people are in line for each of the
10,000 available units, and the local housing agency—spectacularly
corrupt, even by Miami standards—was taken over by the federal
government last year.

Communities nationwide have seen a deluge of properties left vacant by
foreclosures, but housing advocates say they've yet to witness anything
like Rameau's coordinated squatting campaign. "That's the first I've
heard of that kind of direct action," says Linda Couch, deputy director
of the Washington, D.C.-based National Low Income Housing Coalition.
"It's incredibly frustrating for housing advocates knowing that there
are so many vacant houses amid so many people on the brink of homelessness."

Rameau says Take Back's campaign has two objectives: "One is to actually
house people. The other is to bring attention to the contradictions in
housing policy. The problem is that doing one precludes the other."
Drawing too much attention to Take Back's efforts, he explains, would
also get the attention of law enforcement. So Rameau's organization has
placed only two homeless families in foreclosed homes since the campaign
began in October; the first was Cassandra and Jason, a couple in their
late 20s, and their two small children. They'd been living in a van
before Rameau moved them into a one-story stucco home in Liberty City.
When I visited them in February, Cassandra, who works as a street vendor
selling jewelry and incense, ushered me into the living room, furnished
with two chairs, a moving trunk, and a small television. Bedsheets
covered the windows, and the walls had just been painted saffron.

As far as the neighbors are concerned, the current tenants—squatters
though they are—are a vast improvement over the crack den the vacant
house had become. One neighbor even loaned the family electricity via an
extension cord until a mysterious man sympathetic to Take Back's cause
turned on power at the house. "I didn't ask any questions," Cassandra
says. The new living situation, temporary as it might be, affords her
and Jason the time to save up to rent a new apartment, she said. "This
just takes the stress off."

According to the Miami-Dade County Housing Agency, squatters, if
discovered, will be promptly removed from the premises and potentially
prosecuted. So far, though, Take Back's foreclosure-squatting pioneers
have avoided detection. Despite the dicey legality, Rameau says there
are 14 families like Cassandra's on his waiting list. "We counsel them
that they could be arrested if caught," he says. "But things are so
desperate, they are willing to risk it."

To volunteer, support, keep updated or stand in housing solidarity
please go to: