Radio 4 'In Our Time' -- The Enclosures

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Thu May 1 23:27:44 BST 2008

Pity they can't spell 'Inclosure'!

You can download the (20 megabyte!) podcast until next Wednesday from
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/iot/iot_20080501-1130.mp3

P.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/inourtime.shtml

THE ENCLOSURES

Find out more about this subject by using our research page

In the early 19th century, the Northamptonshire poet John Clare took a good
look at the countryside and didn’t like what he saw. He wrote:

"Fence meeting fence in owners little bounds
Of field and meadow, large as garden-grounds,
In little parcels little minds to please,
With men and flocks imprisoned, ill at ease."

He was referring to the effects of the Enclosures – literally the fencing in
of land to stop others from using it. This apparently simple act has been
hugely controversial. For some Enclosure underpinned the economic and
agricultural development of Modern Britain. For others it was an act of
theft – the turning of common land into private property that impoverished
the many for the sake of the few.

But what really happened during the era of 18th and 19th century enclosures?
Who gained, who lost and what role did Enclosures play in the agricultural
and industrial transformation of this country?

Contributors

Rosemary Sweet, Director of the Centre for Urban History at the University of
Leicester

Murray Pittock, Bradley Professor of English Literature at the University of
Glasgow

Mark Overton, Professor of Economic and Social History at the University of
Exeter

- --

(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html