Opening the Doors to autonomy BRISTOL SPACE INVASION PUBLICITY

ben ritche housingaction at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 18:14:12 GMT 2008

***PLEASE FWD WIDELY***

Opening the Doors to autonomy:

Worried about the credit crisis, rising rents, food prices and mortgage repayments? Ever wondered about DIY alternatives this mayhem?

On the 29th of November Bristol Space Invaders present a day of workshops, activities and artwork on urban survival – credit crunching strategies for getting through hard times - from the legalities and practicalities of squatting and resisting repossession/eviction, to urban foraging, radical recycling, a bike workshop, Tai-Chi & self defence, screenprinting and DIY wireless internet and much more - this will be a day of sharing skills and building the networks to not only survive the current economic crisis but to begin to collectively shape what may replace it. Food and kids area will be provided. Come along, learn and share skills.

- We've tried leaving it to the experts and 'authorities' - it didnt work - its time to rescue ourselves.

Event Details:

Where: The Red Factory, Cave Street, St Pauls. (Just off Portland Square)
When: Saturday the 29th of November 2008, 11am - 6pm
Cost: Free
Children Welcome with Creche and kids art space 11-6 possibly later also.

***More Detailed Version***

Opening the Doors to autonomy:

On the 29th of November Bristol Space Invaders will be holding a day long event of art, activities and workshops aimed at creating DIY solutions to the problems facing many of us as the economic crisis begins to bite.

Our group formed in April 2008 in response to an international call-out for actions in defence of squats and autonomous spaces and held an event on Colston Street, Bristol in a disused building in which we installed art, info, ran workshops and put on caberet and live music for the evenings entertainment. This was tied in with a carnival parade through Stokes Croft and St Pauls against gentrification and colosure of clubs in this area.

This time we want to share the practical know-how on to reclaim the city and begin to live outside of the economic exchange - we have put on art and music before and done it well but we're less interested in providing another experience to come and consume  - instead we aim to provide the tools to participate.

Our next event entitled "Opening the Doors to Autonomy" will include workshops on the legality and practicalities of squatting and resisting repossession/eviction, gentrification, urban foraging/skipping, radical recycling, a bike workshop, Tai-Chi & self defence, screenprinting and DIY wireless internet among other activities yet to be confirmed. Food, films and a kids space will also be provided. The event is free.

Where?: The Red Factory, Cave Street, St Pauls. (Just off Portland Square)
When?: Saturday the 29th of November 2008, 11am - 6pm
Cost?: Free
Children Welcome.

and finally...

WHO ARE BRISTOL SPACE INVADERS?

We are a diverse bunch of enraged creatives, DIY tinkers and thinkers, dreamers and schemers drawn together by common threads but mostly by our indignation at the impending grip of corporate expansion on our city.  By that we mean the privatization of social space (aka if you havnt paid you can get out!), the plague of yuppy flats and identikit supermarkets, the marriage of local council to business interests and the rising rents and house prices that come as a result of all this and make our own neighbourhoods sterile, boring and out of reach for all but a privileged elite.

We are aware of the social division in our city and refuse to be evicted or deported from the centre because we do not fit a certain income bracket or pertain to the correct market segment. And we recognize that the changes we see in Bristol are part of global processes but that does not mean we are powerless to resist them – because we too form part a global process.

SO WHAT?

Rather than hold a protest to ask others to change things for us, we believe in the confrontational reclaiming of social space – taking spaces back with our hands rather than lobbying, paying or praying for others to do it for us… we are creative and work as a collective be it making art, taking housing, holding workshops, discussions, talks, films, food/swap-shops, music, info-stalls, performances & open mic nights to name but the tips of icebergs. We are non hierarchical – we don't follow leaders – and make decisions, openly and as a group, we reject prejudice and racism in all its forms.

If any of that strikes a chord with you – or simply sounds like fun - join us We welcome your input, criticism, ideas, apprehensions and vision. Meetings 7.30pm Thursdays - The Red Factory, Cave Street, St Pauls.

 CREATE YOUR REALITY