US Land condemned

sharon pollitt coloursandcracks at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 4 18:40:43 BST 2009

see also
http://www.epfsolutions.org.uk/landmatch

http://www.consciousmedianetwork.com/movie/alandoutoftime.htm

A Land out of Time

The gas drilling boom here in the Rocky Mountain West caught me
totally off guard as it has many Westerners. Unless you were an
energy analyst, it just didn't occur to you that the Forest Service
and Bureau of Land Management would suddenly be leasing millions of
acres to the gas and oil industry and then issuing tens of thousands
of permits to drill all over the heart of the West.

But when the gas boom really got going, it was obvious that, left
unchecked, it would transform the Rocky Mountains forever. We're
seeing thousands of miles of roads being built on unspoiled ground to
develop gas wells, billions of gallons of water pumped from the
aquifers of Montana and Wyoming to develop coal-bed methane wells,
and the ruin of the wild places we depend on to hunt, fish, and hike.
We're watching great swaths of America's Western geography being
rendered into an industrial landscape.

And for what? A few days or weeks supply of natural gas, spread
over the next couple of decades. It's woefully short of the kind of
supplies that would lower prices or make us energy independent. This
land grab is short-sighted in the extreme, the modern equivalent of
breaking up the furniture for firewood.