£5m des-res, latest squatters' paradise

Gerrard Winstanley office at evnuk.org.uk
Sat Apr 11 03:26:35 BST 2009

Britain's new growth industry!

£5million des-res, next to top private school, marvellous views over Hampstead Heath: Yes, it's the latest squatters' paradise

By Beth Hale
Last updated at 12:58 AM on 11th April 2009
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1169033/5m-des-res-private-school-marvellous-views-Hampstead-Heath---Yes-latest-squatters-paradise.html#

It is a £5million mansion with majestic views across Hampstead Heath.

Little wonder, then, that the squatters who have made it their home are so pleased with their discovery.

Eleven of them have moved into the shabby but sprawling nine-bedroom house in Highgate, North London, a stone's throw from a street known as Millionaires' Row.
4 million pound squat

Shabby but spacious: Squatters have padlocked the gates of the mansion saying they will 'prosecute' unwanted visitors

The latest in a string of cases of squatters setting up home in expensive properties, they said they moved in a month ago after finding it empty and boarded up.

They told how they had 'fixed up' the house next door to Highgate School, one of the country's leading private schools.

What fixing up entails is not entirely clear. But a visit revealed the group had allowed their three dogs to foul on the floors and had slung hammocks between trees in the large garden in which they have also been playing skittles and the odd game of chess.

They have draped a Brazilian flag in one window and padlocked the gates, while a sign warns that they will 'prosecute' any unwanted visitors.

One of the new residents, an unemployed 22-old who gave his name as Johnny Doghigh, said: 'This is an unbelievable place to live.'
squat

'It's unbelievable': Johnny Doghigh in the kitchen

Speaking inside the house, its hallway bare save for a few bicycles leaning against the wall, Mr Doghigh, from Cornwall, added: 'The view on to the heath over the last few days while it has been sunny has been amazing.'

Perhaps not quite believing his luck, he continued to describe the property's best points.

'There are nine bedrooms and we have got a living room, dining room and kitchen and a cellar room,' he said.

He told how the group moved in after one person drove past and spotted it boarded up.

But despite is size and value, not to mention a few well-heeled neighbours, he was not entirely satisfied.

He added: 'It is liveable but I reckon the person who owned it before may have been trying to renovate it but then it was left empty for three years.

'We've been fixing it up and we've had to sort out the pipes and we've made it workable.'
Johnny doghigh

Home: Mr Doghigh says he cannot afford to rent anywhere

He blamed the recession for his decision to squat, saying he did not have enough money to pay rent.

As for his housemates, he said: 'We all get on well, we play chess and dominoes to pass the time while some of the other people work. Last weekend we had a birthday party which was nothing wild, just a normal celebration.'

Another squatter called Phil, 37, said they had had no complaints from neighbours about their presence in the house.

He added: 'I have squatted in some very nice houses but this is probably the most expensive. What is a £5million house doing empty for three years? If you have got empty houses like this then give people like us somewhere to live, that's what I think.'

How long the group will be able to enjoy their des res is debatable. The company which owns the property has begun county court proceedings to have them removed.

A notice warning the occupiers of the possession hearing has been taped to the front gate.