An 'interesting' new report on.... well, it's rather hard to explain!

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Sun Apr 26 00:24:17 BST 2009

Hi all,

What's the relationship between the recent 'authoritarian' crack-down on
"protesters" in Britain, the current economic crisis, the debate on growth,
the economy, climate change and resource depletion? Perhaps not that
obvious?... A new report from the Free Range Network ties these issues
together to try and find a deeper motivation behind the recent authoritarian
shift against protest and dissent in Britain -- yes, the threads are there if
you look for them!

NETCU, WECTU and NPOIU: Britain's Secretive Police Force
"Politicising the Policing of Public Expression in an Era of Economic Change"
The Free Range electrohippies Project, April 26th 2009
http://www.fraw.org.uk/download/ehippies/q02/index.shtml

The report looks at:

# the recent enactment of repressive laws on protest and dissent, even BEFORE
"11/9";

# the role of the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) in their
implementation and the intelligence agenda on "domestic extremism"; and

# the events surrounding G20 (although this report was in preparation a few
weeks before G20) that illustrate how this process is working.

In particular we examine the role of ACPO, it's secretive and private
investigative organisations (NECTU, WECTU and NPOIU), and the way in which
these groups are leading a politicised agenda against any form of non-
representative (that is, anything beyond voting, petitions and letter
writing!) public pressure in Britain.

Why is this? Well, on its own the "threat of terrorism" just doesn't encompass
the scale and depth of the changes that we see. However, when you look at the
wider implication of present economic trends, and then factor them into
present policy changes, the reasons become more obvious. It's not a "plot" or
a "conspiracy", but rather a "coalescence of views" between those parts of the
State involved in this process.

- From Herbert Marcuse to Ian Blair, from energy efficiency to peak oil, from
climate change to renewable energy, and from Athelstan Popkess to the Stasi,
in this report we try and make clear the complex trends that are shaping
Britain today and why, in the coming era of dramatic economic change, the
State is osmotically developing an ad-hoc agenda to restrict our freedoms to
complain about it.

The report is 68 pages long, contains 215 references, and nearly all of those
references are "clickable" so that you can investigate the background
information on which the report is based. The report is also released under a
non-commercial open license, so feel free to copy, distribute, extract, quote,
etc. (for non-commercial purpose -- if not, just send us an email).

Finally, as part of this report we've also created a facsimile version of
NETCU's infamous booklet for police officers, "Policing Protest: Pocket
Legislation Guide" as we discuss it in the report --
http://www.fraw.org.uk/download/ehippies/netcu/index.shtml

P.

- --

(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/ebo/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml