Israel turns up the heat to evict Bedouin from desert lands

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Aug 29 02:34:43 BST 2009

<http://www.english.globalarabnetwork.com/200908262389/Palestine-Politics/israel-turns-up-the-heat-to-evict-bedouin-from-desert-lands/Print.html/200908262389/Palestine-Politics/israel-turns-up-the-heat-to-evict-bedouin-from-desert-lands.html>Israel
turns up the heat to evict Bedouin from desert
lands<http://www.english.globalarabnetwork.com/200908262389/Palestine-Politics/israel-turns-up-the-heat-to-evict-bedouin-from-desert-lands/Print.html#>

<http://www.english.globalarabnetwork.com/Politics/View-user-profile/Jonathan-Cook.html>Jonathan
Cook
Wednesday, 26 August 2009 15:21
Bedouin_village_of_Amra

The inhabitants of the Bedouin village of Amra
have good reason to fear that the harsh tactics
used by the Israeli army against Palestinians in
the occupied West Bank have been imported to
their small corner of Israel’s Negev desert.

Over the summer, the Tarabin tribe, all of them
Israeli citizens, have had the sole access road
to their homes sealed off, while the dirt track
they must use instead is regularly blocked by
temporary checkpoints at which their papers and
vehicles are inspected at length.

Coils of razor wire encircle much of the village,
and children as young as eight have been arrested
in a series of night-time raids.

“Four-fifths of our youngsters now have files
with the police and our drivers are being
repeatedly fined for supposed traffic
violations,” said Tulab Tarabin, one of Amra’s
400 Bedouin inhabitants. “Every time we are
stopped, the police ask us: ‘Why don’t you leave?’”

Lawyers and human rights activists say a campaign
of pressure is being organised against the
Tarabin at the behest of a nearby Jewish
community, Omer, which is determined to build a
neighbourhood for Israeli army officers on the tribe’s land.

“The policy in Israel is that when Jews need
land, the Bedouin must move – no matter how long
they have been living in their homes or whether
their communities predate Israel’s creation,”
said Morad al Sana, a lawyer with the Adalah
legal centre for Israel’s Arab minority. “The
Tarabin’s crime is that they refuse to budge.”

The 180,000 Bedouin in the Negev have never been
welcome, says Oren Yiftachel, a geographer at Ben
Gurion University of the Negev in Beersheva. They
are descendants of a few thousand who managed to
avoid expulsion from the southern semi-desert
region during the 1948 war that founded Israel.

Many of the surviving Bedouin, including the
Tarabin, were forcibly relocated from their
extensive ancestral lands in the 1950s to an area
close to the Negev’s main city, Beersheva, Prof
Yiftachel said. Israel declared the Bedouin lands
as “state land” and established a series of
overcrowded “townships” to house the tribes instead.

“The stated goal is one of ‘Judaisation’,” Prof
Yiftachel added, referring to a long-standing
policy of concentrating the rural Bedouin into
urban reservations to free up land for Jewish
settlement. About half of the Negev’s Bedouin,
some 90,000, have refused to move.

According to a recent report from the Association
of Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), the townships
have “continuously ranked as the poorest, least
developed and most crime-ridden towns in Israel”.

The refuseniks, such as the Tarabin, have faced
unrelenting pressure to leave their 45 rural
communities, none of which is recognised by the
state. The villagers endure “third world conditions”, according to ACRI.

“The unrecognised villages are denied basic
services to their homes, including water and
electricity, and the villages themselves have no
master plans,” Mr al Sana said.

As a result, he added, the villagers are forced
to live in tin shacks and tents because concrete
homes are invariably destroyed by the
authorities. In the past two years, several
shacks as well as the local kindergarten in Amra have been demolished.

The stark contrast between the dusty encampment
of Amra and the green lawns and smart villas of
Omer, only a stone’s throw away and the country’s
third wealthiest community, is unsettling even
for some of Omer’s 7,000 residents.

One, Yitzhak Nevo, a philosophy professor at Ben
Gurion University and a leading activist with
Dukium, a Negev coexistence group, said that,
although the lands on which the Tarabin live fall
under Omer’s jurisdiction, the Bedouin have been
entirely excluded. “Even though they live within
Omer’s municipal limits, their children get no
education from us; our health clinic does not
treat them; they are not hooked up to our water
or electricity supplies and their refuse is not collected.”

He said Amra had been treated as nothing more
than an eyesore until the mid-1990s when the
powerful mayor, Pinhas Badash, decided that the
Tarabin were both harming property values and
obstructing the town’s expansion plans.

As Omer’s new neighbourhoods reached the limits
of Amra, Mr Badash stepped up the pressure on the
villagers to leave. A few years ago he pushed
through the building of a new community for the
Tarabin away from Omer. Two-thirds of the tribe
relocated, while the remainder fought the
attempted eviction through the courts.

“It was a very dirty business in which those in
the tribe who left first were offered cheap land
on which to build while the rest were threatened
that they would be offered nothing,” Mr al Sana said.

Amra’s remaining Bedouin have found themselves
surrounded by a tall wire fence to separate them
from Omer. Two gates, ordered by the courts to
ensure the Bedouin continued to have road access
through the town, were sealed this year.

Since the beginning of the summer police patrol
Amra’s side of the fence around the clock and the
Tarabin report that a private security firm
chases off any of them found inside Omer.

Nissim Nir, a spokesman for Mr Badash, denied
that the Tarabin were being hounded. Omer made a
generous offer to relocate them from their “illegal” site, he said.

Recently Mr Badash announced that thousands of
acres around Omer would be forested with the
intention of stopping the Bedouin from returning
to the area once they had been evicted.

Mr Tarabin, 33, accused the police of being
little more than hired hands carrying out Mr Badash’s plan.

“We are being suffocated. There are night-time
searches of our homes using bogus pretexts, and
arrests of young children. We are photographed
and questioned as we go about our business. At
the roadblocks they endlessly check cars entering
and leaving, and fines are issued. No one visits
us unless they have to, and we stay home unless we have to leave.”

He added: “Why is it so impossible for Omer to
imagine allowing us to be a neighbourhood of the town?”

A report by Human Rights Watch last year severely
criticised Israel’s treatment of the Bedouin.

Global Arab Network

Jonathan Cook is a writer and journalist based in
Nazareth, Israel. His latest books are “Israel
and the Clash of Civilisations: Iraq, Iran and
the Plan to Remake the Middle East” (Pluto Press)
and “Disappearing Palestine: Israel's Experiments
in Human Despair” (Zed Books). His website is
www.jkcook.net. A version of this article originally appeared in The National.
Photo by: Oren Ziv/ Activestills

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://bcfm.org.uk/?page_id=3659
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung