Tesco colonize Morlands Glastonbury by proxy.

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Mon Feb 16 12:14:26 GMT 2009

Just to explain further.

The original owners of the 13 ha derelict Morlands site sat on it for
10 years until 2001 in the hope that they would get big retail on it,
but the town council and district council said "no", because it would
undermine the town centre.

The Regional Development Agency bought Morlands with the promise of
no big retail and keeping it for employment. Since then they have
done nothing except demolish buildings and build a road. A building
scheduled for demolition was saved by squatters in January 2009.

The RDA has been negotiating with Avalon Plastics to move their
factory to Morlands, releasing their old site for  . . . . big retail
sheds!

So, the town still loses employment land and gets unwanted retail.

Simon