Taking pictures of policemen cannot be illegal

Mon Feb 16 18:58:42 GMT 2009

The act can be found at

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2008/pdf/ukpga_20080028_en.pdf

and the relevant part seems to be Section 76 on pdf page 59:
"76 Offences relating to information about members of armed forces etc
(1) After section 58 of the Terrorism Act 2000 (collection of
information) insert -
"58A Eliciting, publishing or communicating information about members
of armed forces etc
(1) A person commits an offence who -
(a) elicits or attempts to elicit information about an individual who
is or has been -
(i) a member of Her Majesty�s forces,
(ii) a member of any of the intelligence services, or
(iii) a constable,
which is of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or
preparing an act of terrorism, or
(b) publishes or communicates any such information.
(2) It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under this
section to prove that they had a reasonable excuse for their action."

It sees to me the bit between (iii) and (b) is the important one. By
my reading you can still take pictures which are unlikely to be used
for terrorism. So if for example you could take pictures of a heavy
handed arrest on a demo. In any case (2) shows we could have a fine
time arguing the case in court.